1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ACV Organic or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by larsonll, Sep 6, 2011.

1. larsonll

larsonll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    West Georgia
    I live in a town where I doubt anyone has ever heard of Organic ACV. Can you use the regular store bought kind?

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    I think it depends on what you are using it for.

If using the typical amount in a plastic waterer it won't hurt anything for it to be regular old Heinz apple cider, it will help keep nasty slime off of feeder, etc. I used it for a month or so til I ordered some Braggs vinegar.

However, if using it for the "mother" to help birds deal with immune stuff, make them healthier etc, then you need the good stuff. I liked the properties of keeping waterers from stinking and becoming slimy, it is harder to see if your birds are healthier because of use of it, but I hope so.

Amazon.com has decent prices on the organic stuff - much better than the local store I got it from. And from what I have read, once you get some you can "inoculate" the plain old variety and keep it going so you don't have to buy so much of the expensive stuff. Search engine here will lead you to big discussions on this if you wade through a bunch of threads to get the right one.

Hope this helps, I wondered this same thing a few months ago and after reading, etc., this is what I came up with.

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    I think if your going to the trouble of adding ACV, you may as well find the kind with the "mother" like Braggs. Even if you have to order it. (GNC carries it if you have a store anywhere near you).
    Like jtbrown said, it's supposed to have health benefits over and above just reducing the algea slime in the waterer.

4. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    when I order my Braggs ACV I use vitacost.com, they have great prices.

5. ftwchopper

ftwchopper Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    woodstock connecticut
    I found "old dutch" brand apple cider vinegar at my local discount store for one dollar a quart.It says on the label that its" all natural"...is this the same as organic acv?? 5% acidity.....Will this work in my chicken waterer?

6. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    the acv should say that it contains "the mother" in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by