ACV right away?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sparkles2307, May 4, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Do I need to put garlic and ACV in the water right away for my babies or is that something I need to wait on till they are grown?

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I put ACV in after the first few days. Someone said it helped with the pasty butt. I don't know if that actually worked, the pasty butt problem went on it's own. But my chicks are lively and I think the ACV is helping them. Garlic, I never tried. I think you just drop a clove in right?

3. sparkles2307

yeah I was going to cut them into quarters, several cloves for each waterer. I just didnt know how old the babies need to be before I started this regimen.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do ACV, but not garlic, as soon as they are hatched.

5. chirpchirp

chirpchirp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Michigan
    why is it you put either in the water? i get my babies in june and want to be informed of everything beforehand.... thanks:)

6. sparkles2307

I know the ACV helps keep them healthy and their digestion working well, not really sure what the garlic does but if everyone says to do it I will...

7. thowe

thowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    NH
    What is AVC?

8. Apple Cider Vinager. Use only a small amount. I also put in a blurb of Molasses the first week of life.

I only use ACV on chicks and only a very small amount. It keeps the slime in the waterer down too.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Organic ACV is supposed to be a probiotic, plus rimshoes is correct, it helps keep slime down. Garlic is supposed to discourage intestinal worms.

10. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:I had CackleHatchery call me after I received my chicks from them. They told me to add ACV to help with Pasty Butt [​IMG] I can say it did. She explained that the stress from the shipping causes pasty butt in ordered chicks. I'm SOLD on this stuff now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by