ACV

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by k625, Aug 19, 2007.

1. k625

k625 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    I keep reading about ACV given to chicks/chickens often what is it? Thanks so much! [​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Apple cider vineger - suppose to use the organic kind that you find in the health stores. It helps with immunities. There are several threads about it - just go to the search mode. I was using it, but it seemed to me that the chickens knew it was in their water and didn't drink as much which in returned worried me because this summer has been so hot. If I notice them sneezing or having running noses I will probably go back to using it. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    in the summer they will usually be better off with electrolytes in their water...

4. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    okay that is a big help. There are so many abreviations on here lol. What if you cant get the organic kind? Will regular do? And how much do I put into the water? Thanks so much.

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    I read on this thread a few times that the ACV in the stores is so processed that all the good nutrients in it is gone. I was using 2 tbl in their 3 ga. waterer. I did read on one of the threads to use 1 tbl per gallon, but it seemed too much to me.

6. k625

Aug 14, 2007
    Florida
    Ok, next time im at the store I will try and look for it. Everyone seems to be ok, just a little bit of sneezing, but I just got them on friday, and I read that a change in environment will do that. I wanted to ask everyone...one of them seems to open its mouth every now and then...not like when they are hot, kind of like it would be chocking, but its not because he walks around fine and its eating and drinking. Any ideas please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by