1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ACV

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Lorraine Perth, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Lorraine Perth

Lorraine Perth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    How much ACV do I put into the hens water? I have a 20Litre nipple water system

2. bluefrog87

bluefrog87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    between one tsp and 2 Tbsp in a gallon of water

Be careful not to add too much or you will cause hypocalcemia

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure you'd want to use ACV in a nipple system......the acidity of the ACV will degrade most metals.

4. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    It's not that bad on nipple systems.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
  6. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I think adding a good Probotic can be more beneficial to the bird than ACV. Rather than making the gut acidic a good Probotic can add Benifical bacteria that once colonize can actually fight off bad bacteria. ACV can be good for the minerals given in moderation at one week a month.more than that in my opinion is too much. But if your wanting to be if it the bird I think a good Probotic can serve to be very Benifical.

7. bluefrog87

Nov 17, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    I think this is wandering a bit off topic. The OP is a question about the correct dosage of acv. Not the various supplements out there.

8. johnlogan

johnlogan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2013
    Has it been answered? The question was asked in liters, the answer was given in gallons. Now the OP has to convert. I'm sure if they wanted to do any research they would have just searched for the answer to the original question instead of asking on a discussion forum.

But in all seriousness I would agree with realsis, a probiotic would be more beneficial than ACV.

9. Lorraine Perth

Lorraine Perth Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Perth Western Australia
    Thanks for the feedback which of course leads to the next question what probiotic is best for my hens?

10. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I really have had great success using PROBIOS. I order it online. You can read a bit about it by googling PROBIOS for chickens . I use it on chicks and grown chickens alike. I have been using it for a few years now and since I've used it I never have a problem with diarrhea or pasty butt in chick's or adults. I discovered it a few years back when I had a chick that continued to paste up.i did some research and discovered the probios. Since then I've noticed some tractor supplies carrying it in the poultry Isle. But I always order mine online because the larger jar isn't a avaible from tractor supply. The larger jar lasts a good long time because your only using a teaspoon per gallon of water. It has all the beneficial bacteria in it that your bird needs! Much more than they can get from plain yougart or such. .I highly recommend the probios! I believe you can order it from www.probios.com. Also from amazon.com. it's less than 20 dollars and it's really a wonderful product! Hope this helps. Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by