Ad me to the list of people with broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Knight Hawk Ranch, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    For the last couple of days, I have been collecting eggs and having to boot one of my hens out of the nest.

I was thinking she was just laying late. Until tonight and she swapped nests to warm up the other eggs.LOL
    So I marked them and put all 8 under her.

I will try to get pictures tomorrow of her on the nest and to verify if she is serious or not. This one is a production RIR and I hope she doesn't change her mind.

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    Lucky you! My silkies are broody all the time, but never any of my big girls.....

3. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I wish mine would make up her mind! She is also production RIR about 10 months old. She will stay on a nest for 1 night then abandon it. [​IMG] She is getting more agresive if I try to get her out or check for eggs. She almost drew blood tonight! If I did not need the dog crate for the chicks due to hatchin 4 days I would stick her in it! [​IMG] That would show me if she is still laying and if not maybe keep her on a nest for more that 24hrs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by