adapting the coop for better heat control

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bj taylor, Mar 4, 2013.

1. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i live in hot country. i have been whining about the temps in the 50s w/a cold wind. reality hit me today though (in 80s) that i need to adjust the coop for better heat ventilation.
    the coop is built inside a hoop house in one corner. the human door into the coop is solid on the bottom. i'm going to remove that section & replace w/hardware cloth. the top nest boxes are too high for my girls & are never used. therefore, i'm going to remove the lid access (from the outside collecting eggs w/o going inside the coop) to these top nest boxes & replace w/ hardware cloth framed so it will allow more air to move through on hot nights. the exterior wall has a 1 ft square hole cut out for increased ventilation. i'm going to greatly increase that opening, cover w/hardware cloth. during winter i can put a piece of plywood over it to cut down on drafts.
    hoping my girls & big boy will be better this summer, than last.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. blueyezmt11

blueyezmt11 New Egg

Aug 27, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    How high is too hi to have your nest boxes?? Just curious. I just put mine in the coop and im worried they are too high. They are at 4 ft.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    That's about twice as high as they should be

5. blueyezmt11

blueyezmt11 New Egg

Aug 27, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    Ok, thank you so much. I was really wondering about this. My nesting boxes are 5 wide and 3 deep. The bottom is up off of the ground about 18 inches which brings the top row of boxes up to about 4 feet. I was trying to create more floor space for them but it sounds like I need to lower the whole thing......to the floor?

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If the lowest is 18", and you have perches across the front so they can climb up, it's fine just like it is.

They can't jump much more than 2 -3 ft without a lot of effort, and getting down is even worse for larger birds

If I'm understanding correctly, you have 15 nests, which is really enough for at least 45-60 birds.

Also, if the nests are higher than the roosts, they will want to sleep in them, making a big mess to keep clean

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Would be good to put some ventilation up at the roof level above the roosts for the hot air to escape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by