add a different fed???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dixiedoodle, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My 8week old Ameraucanas are growing, doing well (even in the 100* heat), eating me out of house and home.... I have been feeding them medicated crumbles (that's what the breeder was feeding) -- but the bag is really low... Do I buy more curmbles or can I change them over to a flock grower. I am feeding Nurtena Flock Grower--It has 20%-- to my hens right now?? Thanks for any help..

2. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    you can just change it, they wont mind and it wont hurt them
    we do it alot, mainly cuz one is cheaper then the other [​IMG]

3. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    I agree. It won't hurt them a bit. I even add a bit of wheat, or millet, even some corn chops to their feed to "stretch" it a bit. All of those are good for them, anyway, within reason. My paw-in-law likes to remind me that "back in HIS day", lol....they just fed corn and garden goods to their chickens, and had good, fat, happy, egg-layin' girls. Had no problems with eatin' them either, he said.........He says we 'coddle' our chickens, lol.

I do try to keep them on a good feed with the right protein levels, but like most others I know, I don't have a strict feeding program. I mix it up a bit, and seems to keep them from getting bored with the same ole same ole. Believe me, my hens do get bored, and at times will go 'off' their feed. I can add something new when that happens...and VOILA!!....they gobble it up.

4. CorporateGranola

CorporateGranola Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    Thanks for starting this thread, I was about to ask *nearly* the same question.

My chicks are a bit younger than yours (just shy of 2 weeks). We have been feeding them medicated (Purina brand I think) food since day 1. Should we keep them on the medicated for another couple weeks, or are they safe to go ahead and put on grower feed?

5. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    Need to refill my chicks feeder this morning, the only food I have isn't medicated. They are not even 2 weeks old - frankly I'd prefer to keep them on medicated but I wanted to get some input from you guys to see what you thought. Thanks in advance!

-=CG=-

6. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    There should be a feed and growth chart on the back of the feed bag...

7. CorporateGranola

Aug 4, 2010
    South GA Swamp
    Quote:Thanks for the suggestion, but I *have* looked the back of every bag I have in the house, and they all suggest up to 18 weeks for *their particular* brand. I kinda figured someone on BYC would have some input based on experience, and not motivated by the desire to sell units of their product. Anyone else have some feedback about when to switch the chicks off medicated feed?

-=CG=-

8. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Well if they get sick Ill read your post....

9. Lesalynn

Lesalynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Darnell, Louisiana
    CG, I have never used the medicated feed [​IMG] so I can't say. But I know this......I've never had a sick chick, either. [​IMG]

10. zippitydooda

zippitydooda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Ottawa, Ohio
    When I got my chicks, I bought a bag of medicated. When it was gone about 2 weeks later, I simply bought chick crumbles. That kind has a higher protein base than the others. I was told to continue feeding that kind until they began laying, and then switch to layer crumbles. I do give my girls all kinds of goodies, usually fruit that nobody in the house will eat, or left-over veggies, or just things from the garden or fruit trees in the yard. They are fat & sassy and come running whenever they see me with the "chicken scrap bowl". I keep in on my counter & toss stuff in throughout the day (things that won't spoil or mold of course). My girls are almost 12 weeks and are fine.

Post some pictures of your chicks sometime. Would love to see them. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by