1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Add a duck egg to another duck nest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by craftymama86, Mar 23, 2011.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

My MIL has ducks and recently one of them laid an egg. She thought the duck(whichever one it was) abandoned it b/c she never saw a duck sitting on it so she asked me to put it in with my chicken eggs that has a broody sitting on them. I warned her that I didn't know how the chickens would react to it being in there but she insisted, lol. Anyways, I looked around a little bit ago and found a nest with 2 eggs. Now, my question is, can the egg that was put in with the chicken eggs be taken out and put with the other 2 duck eggs? Or should I just leave it with my broody hen and her eggs?

2. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL! Ducks don't begin to sit until they have a full clutch (usually 6-12), that way they'll all hatch at the same time. If it has been under the broody hen, then it's already developing and shouldn't be removed. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. craftymama86

Hehe, yea I've read about them not sitting till they're done laying but I couldn't tell her that without researching it first so I could tell her THAT, LOL.

Thank you, we're very excited. I'm keeping positive about ALL the eggs. [​IMG]

4. Borncountry419

Borncountry419 Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol! Take pics when they come!![​IMG]

5. craftymama86

Definitely! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by