Add a hen to a 16 week old rooster living alone.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by @FendiChick, Jan 25, 2011.

1. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    Any tips on how to integrate a hen? I have one chicken, it's a rooster.
    He is a sex link male and I thought he was a hen, so I am going to get a hen. I don't know what the rules or suggestions are for introducing them.
    Please help if possible. The hen I will get is about 15 or so weeks old.

Thank you!!

2. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

That shouldnt be a problem, you don't mention how old your roo is, but you should get more hens if possible so he wont "wear" that one hen down. also you should quarantine the hen for a while then put them where they can see each other to make it an even smoother transition. ....... ok, i just saw your roo is 16 weeks, so thats a good match up.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  3. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you for your reply. I don't know if it matters if I get the same breed or not- I want to get the hen to have some fresh eggs. On another thread, they told me it was a gold star rooster or something like that so I should try to get something of the same?.

4. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    this is he:

[​IMG]

5. onecent

Hes a very handsome fellow! if you want to hatch out some chickens to keep that breed going you should get the same, but if it doesn't matter, no you don't need the same breed, also keep in mind too, you don't need a roo to get fresh eggs! [​IMG]

6. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks- True, I don't need a roo to get eggs...but I do need a hen! I thought this one was a hen which is why I kept her when she wandered into my yard but now I am so attached to him that I figured I'd get a hen and keep him also. I am not planning to hatch any chicks, just to have fresh eggs [​IMG] I think if I get the future eggs from the future hen right away, they're edible whether or not they're fertilized- right? Thanks again for your help!

7. onecent

oh yes! they would be edible, and very good! [​IMG]

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I would suggest you get more than one hen...Maybe (at least 3).. Chickens are flock animals and really need to be w/ a 'flock'.. It doesn't really matter about breeds (unless you are going to raise pure breed stock) but try to stay w/ the same size (standard or bantam). Your roo will cause problems w/ over breeding one hen.. And if something happens to one of them--you are left --w/ one lone chicken and you will need to do it all over again.. and they will help to keep each other warm in winter, help look out for predators in the flock (8 eyes are better than 4).. and you can just about feed 4 as cheaply/well as two... JMHO...

9. @FendiChick

Nov 11, 2010
    Thank you, I have hired someone to build out a coop, and it's halfway done and it's really great- I will post photos when done. I think there will be enough room there for the rooster and 3 hens. I saw some great recommendations of places to purchase hens so I will go with one of those. The coop has me very excited!!

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by