Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor help, other openers...?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by secuono, Jan 16, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    This thing sucks, sounds like a lot of crap to get it going and it doesn't even come with a on/off timer?? For $80 plus shipping, it should come with everything I need!
    I just want something that pulls open a door in the morning when I say, I don't want something I need to buy other parts to!! Help!!

http://www.discounthomeautomation.com/Add-A-Motor-Chicken-Coop-Motor-AAD20

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Most of them are around $150 with everything. I think we went the cheapest route by buying a drapery motor and we still had to buy a digital timer - probably cost about $120 total "doing it ourselves." So $80 isn't bad if all you need is a timer [​IMG]

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    It can't even be inside. We have a 2by4 that goes diagonal on the doors where the chicken door is, no room to install a sliding door inside. It has to be outside.

4. dweder

dweder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Glen Ellyn, Illinois
    I just want to say that even though I had to buy a timer to make my "Add-A-Motor" work properly, I absolutely love it. I have it on both coops and it never fails.

I also highly recommend that you install your door on the inside of the coop for security measures. Critters can't get their hands under the bottom of the door and push it up that way.

Good luck.

5. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Can't have the motor and the door inside. Door is outside now, swings right and has a latch.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by