Add-a-motor installation question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by affacat, Jul 9, 2011.

1. affacat

affacat Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    We just finished building our coop, but have not added a door. We would like to eventually get the add-a-motor automatic door opener and want to make sure that the door that we install now is easy to add a motor to later. Any advice?

2. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi! I used the Add-A-Motor. Works great. Simple track from 1" x 3" material, old street sign(!/8") aluminum cut down for the door, and the motor installed then plugged into a timer. Up at 6am and down at 8pm. Nothing to it. Simple to install and program. Love it
    Hope this helps,
    Erik

[​IMG]

3. seanb

seanb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Erik,

Would you mind posting some close-up pictures of that set-up? And is it a plug-in unit to 120 volt ac? And how fast does the door move when it's opening or closing?

Additional details would be appreciated.

After only one week of walking 75 yards to the coop every morning at 6 am, with my eyes still pasted shut, I'm already tired of it.

Thanks!

4. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Seanb, yes I will post more pictures with closeups. Have to wait and take them in the morning, am on duty right now.
    The motor has a transformer on the end that plugs into a 120v outlet. It can be adapted to 12v battery with solar panel, etc... Since I ran electricity to my coop in the same trench as my water line, I opted for the 120 v set-up. It lifts the door shown effortlessly, taking about 6-8 seconds to lift it 16" which is the height of my door opening. Can set the open and close points in small incriments to get it to go down perfectly and go up and stop on a dime. Very easy to install and to tweek.
    Erik

5. seanb

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Thanks Eric. I ran 120 volts ac to our coop so I can put a receptacle wherever it needs to be.

If you wouldn't mind supplying cost and contact info for the manufacturer as well, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again!

6. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
  7. affacat

affacat Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2011
    my plan to get an add-a-motor went out the window. the local farm store started selling a locally made auto-door kit called 'chick-a-door', fully assembled, for $125. We decided to give it a go. i haven't installed it yet (need to run electricity tomorrow) but hope to soon.

8. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Seanb and others, here are the close up pics. Overall shot of door in track with motor mounted above, then timer above that. Timer is plugged into outlet and motor transformer plugged into timer. Motor has to adjustable "ears" that stick out( actually trippers) that flip the switch on the motor for its up and down motion. You set them where you want. Set your timer for an on/ off am time( to open door) and an on/ off pm time ( to close door). Must always set an off time for every on time so that the motor resets for the next direction. Hope that is not too confusing. The door attaches to the motor via a string and rubber backed washer(Provided with motor). Simple to set up, just follow directions. Design is... in event the door binds, the string will strip out of the rubber washer and not damage the motor itself. Hope all of this helps. Good luck,
    Erik
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. fireguy56

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Oh, forgot. The timer is a Christmas light controller I had laying around.(notice the red and green trippers on timer) For Every green tripper, ther is a red one a few minutes later. that is to turn off the motor, re-set and wait for the other green tripper to send door in oposite direction. Hope that makes it a little clearer.
    Erik

10. seanb

May 24, 2011
    Central PA
    Thanks for the info Erik. Seems simple enough to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by