Add female Pekin to Runner flock???

duckitup

Chirping
Jun 10, 2015
Wisconsin
We have 6 Runners. 2 boys and 4 girls. The boys are 17 wks old and the girls are 15wks old. They have started mating (yikes). So far only one of the boys is mating with the girls and the girls seem to be "asking" for it, bobbing head etc so I don't think they are overwhelmed yet but I'm concerned that when the second boy starts mating that it may be too much for the girls. So......I found a listing on Craigslist for someone trying to re home their female Pekin (sounds like she is their only duck
th.gif
. I feel to be on the safe side, ultimately, I should probably get 2 or 3 more females (re homing one of the males is out of the question). This is a work in progress.......

As long as she is healthy, is it an okay idea to bring her into the flock of Runners? Will the boy Runners "like" her? Is it even possible for a Runner to mate with a Pekin????? I kind of like the idea of a Pekin as they are known to be much more friendly/ less nervous, than Runners and may make getting the Runners to come inside at night easier if I can get them to follow the Pekin. Thoughts on mixing the flock?

Hi I think you getting the female Peking is a good idea I personally have two Peking a male a female and they are extremely friendly also two Muscovys a male and female your male runners probably will mate with the Peking.
1f604.png
1f604.png

We have 6 Runners. 2 boys and 4 girls. The boys are 17 wks old and the girls are 15wks old. They have started mating (yikes). So far only one of the boys is mating with the girls and the girls seem to be "asking" for it, bobbing head etc so I don't think they are overwhelmed yet but I'm concerned that when the second boy starts mating that it may be too much for the girls. So......I found a listing on Craigslist for someone trying to re home their female Pekin (sounds like she is their only duck
th.gif
. I feel to be on the safe side, ultimately, I should probably get 2 or 3 more females (re homing one of the males is out of the question). This is a work in progress.......

As long as she is healthy, is it an okay idea to bring her into the flock of Runners? Will the boy Runners "like" her? Is it even possible for a Runner to mate with a Pekin????? I kind of like the idea of a Pekin as they are known to be much more friendly/ less nervous, than Runners and may make getting the Runners to come inside at night easier if I can get them to follow the Pekin. Thoughts on mixing the flock?
Adding a female Pekin is a great idea the more the merrier. Be sure to post pics of your flock when you get time we'd love to see them. And your giving a duck a loving home too.

Thanks you two. I sent the woman an email. Just realized that the listing was almost 30 days old. If she still has her I want to get her.

Flock on the pond

at the pond

Camping with us when they were too young to leave home alone.

3 baby girls

H

Thanks you two. I sent the woman an email. Just realized that the listing was almost 30 days old. If she still has her I want to get her.

Flock on the pond

at the pond

Camping with us when they were too young to leave home alone.

3 baby girls

H
I hope they still have her if not your able to find another.. Those pics are so precious such cute lil ones and the pond is nice too, watch for snapping turtles though..

You took them camping? how did that go?

She doesn't have her anymore
hit.gif
. I'll keep looking. I'd really like to find at least two Pekins so that one doesn't feel like the "ugly duckling". And, I want them to be girls so it may take a while to find what I'm looking for. We will see.

@Miss Lydia We dug the pond for fill when we built the house. Lucked out and hit a spring. I know that there aren't any snapping turtles. Phew! Thanks for the heads up though. No turtles of any kind. I wish we had some painted turtles. We have some fish and a couple of muskrats but that's it.

When they were little and still staying inside the garage at night we took them camping because we couldn't leave them at home alone. (We camp A LOT). When I say camping, it is a plot of land about an hour north of us that has our RV on it permanently until we get around to building a cabin. It worked out great. We had a pen set up for them but of course they preferred to free range. They stayed in the RV shower at night. Turns out it was a very good thing to do because we recently had a duck get sick (see Mr. Fiona thread) and took him camping with us as well while he was nearing the end of his "rehab". So, at least he had seen the place before and he got a long great again. Sounds crazy but in all honesty having him camping with us was easier than having the dogs with us.

She doesn't have her anymore
hit.gif
. I'll keep looking. I'd really like to find at least two Pekins so that one doesn't feel like the "ugly duckling". And, I want them to be girls so it may take a while to find what I'm looking for. We will see.

@Miss Lydia We dug the pond for fill when we built the house. Lucked out and hit a spring. I know that there aren't any snapping turtles. Phew! Thanks for the heads up though. No turtles of any kind. I wish we had some painted turtles. We have some fish and a couple of muskrats but that's it.

When they were little and still staying inside the garage at night we took them camping because we couldn't leave them at home alone. (We camp A LOT). When I say camping, it is a plot of land about an hour north of us that has our RV on it permanently until we get around to building a cabin. It worked out great. We had a pen set up for them but of course they preferred to free range. They stayed in the RV shower at night. Turns out it was a very good thing to do because we recently had a duck get sick (see Mr. Fiona thread) and took him camping with us as well while he was nearing the end of his "rehab". So, at least he had seen the place before and he got a long great again. Sounds crazy but in all honesty having him camping with us was easier than having the dogs with us.
@duckitup Have you looked on the rehoming thread here on BYC?not sure what available but you never know... Hope you find just what your looking for and 2 would be a great idea, don't want anyone thinking they are an ugly duckling.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom