Add new chicks now or wait until spring?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pox, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Pox

Pox Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Hi! We have 2 barred rock pullets, 14 weeks old. They are doing great outdoors in their coop. We want to get two buff orps and found 4 week old chicks. Winter is coming and the temps in Western PA have dropped to the freezing point the other night. Should I wait to add until the spring or can I still get these babies used to the coop? I just don't want them indoors all winter.

Also, if my barred rocks don't lay in the winter, do I still keep them on chick starter until I have my first egg or should I start adding layer at a certain age?

Thank you!

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    We are waiting until spring. We are supposed to be getting snow this afternoon. I am so NOT ready for autumn to be over! [​IMG]

3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:[​IMG] SNOW [​IMG] No no not yet.

4. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] SNOW [​IMG] No no not yet.

We've been in the mid 30's every night except one this past week..... I better bring my pumpkins in out of the garden!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Wow! Snow already?? When I lived in NW Indiana, we would get our first snow around Halloween, so that's a bit early!!

Pox
    If you have a heat light in the coop for the little ones, they should be fine, just make sure you keep them seperated from the others for a while, till the new ones get a bit bigger. Maybe divide the coop with wire, so the bigger ones can get used to seeing the babies, without being able to get to them.

6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I would get the two Buff Orps. and that way you accomplish two things: extra body heat so they all stay warmer, and you'll have eggs in the spring ready to go. Plus both breeds are very pretty and friendliest birds I know - next to my golden comets of course :eek:]

7. Pox

Pox Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Snow.....brrrrrr

We have no way of putting a heat lamp in our little coop, however it is draft-free and can be completely closed. My hubby put in two small vents.

Btw, we love our barred rocks. They are like dogs, they come running and jump right into my lap. I could swear they purr at times!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok I ma unsure of how old these chicks are? Are they 4 chicks that are a week old, or 4-week-old chicks? Maybe you should keep them inside in a brooder til they are a bit older. If you put them in there with the bigger ones, they may get squished.

9. Pox

Pox Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    Ooops, the chicks are 4 weeks old.

10. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would still wait until they are a bit bigger. You need to keep them seperate from the older ones for a while after putting them in the coop, so they have a chance to get to know each other. Plus at 4 weeks old, the little ones still need a bit more heat than they can get from a pile-up, plus like I said before, they could get squished in the mix. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by