Add on coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dg14, Dec 2, 2014.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    So the dimensions of my chicken coop is 4x8x6 does anyone know of a site that has plans of building on to the coop doesn't have to be huge but I'd like it to be a decent upgrade from the coop (Its where they would Free Range.

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I don't think people quite understand your question and that's why you haven't gotten a response. If they are free ranging than they are outside any structure. They are just wandering around the property without protection. Are you looking to add to the coop or are you looking to build a secure run? If you want to add to the coop, post a picture. How it's constructed will tell you how to add to it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  3. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    A secure run. Yeah sorry i have a tendency of confusing people. my apologies! im unable to post a picture i know its not really helpful. sorry again!

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    A simple, secure and usually very cost effective chicken run is a chainlink dog run. Keep your eye on CL and when you see panels, snap them up. I use them on my grow out pens. 4' are the most common and you can't stand up in them but if you stick with one height, you just add as you get more enlarging the run as you can. For my chicken run, I had a 10x20 canopy tent that was damaged in the wind. I cut the legs down, ran some chainlink around it, field fence over the top, built a door and other than time, I had a free 10x20 run. I do not have an apron to prevent digging under so I have rail road ties around the perimeter. I was going to beef it up with a strand of electric fence but haven't need it. I have not had a breakin in 3 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by