Add rooster with flock chickens and baby chicks?

joshissman

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Hi everyone. I have 2 - 15 week Buff Orpington girls old girls and 8 - 10 week mix of welsummer and grey ameraucana. I had a few Buff Roosters and sold them. I am thinking of getting ahold of him and getting them back for a week or so. My question is will adding a orpington rooster who was hatched with and raised untill like 8 weeks with my girl orpingtons, then sold brought back will they accept him or will my hens fight him? Also if i leave him with the girls for a bit will the girls lay and hatch the eggs themselves or do i need to buy incubator?? Also if i got recently hatched chicks like a week old or less will my older chicks raise them or be mean to them? thanks!!

you seem to need a lot of experience..... ok first.... you should make sure that they got into laying properly to expect fertilized eggs... and they will accept a rooster prety easily... they're not a pride of lions.... but they will be glade to have a rooster when matured... and if one of them go broody they will sit on eggs and hatch chicks..... but if not broody you can't make them hatch chicks or foster any... so in this case you might incubate them yourself.... and you can just get one rooster (one is enough) andbleave him as an essential part of the flock who mates with the hens and protect them and keep the flock organized....

Back
Top Bottom