Addding New Rooster to flock, any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jacob42, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    We had to rehome our polish roo yesterday, he was getting aggresive with my wife. We have 11 girls and a silkie roo. The silkie roo was very happy to take role as alpha male but we wanted to replace the polish with a Barred rock roo. The Cuckoo girls seem very excited to meet him but the silkie roo is not happy at all. He Went right after him even tho he is only a third of the size. One of our silkie girls wanted a peice too, The barred rock is in a cage right now but we want to make sure they can get along first. Does anyone have any ideas of how to blend a new rooster?

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    I'd slow down and not get too anxious. If a stranger came in your house, you'd likely freak out too. Put him somewhere he can be seen, but not where they can get at him for about a week, then test it again by letting them eat together or range together. It'll just take time...in my opinion. Slow process usually works best so he doesn't catch a beating while the others are adjusting him to the new peck order, of which he will likely be pretty low, at least starting out. hope that helps!

3. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Did you not isolate your new roo for 4 weeks prior to mixing him with your flock. If you did not then you have put your whole flock at risk.[​IMG]
    The funny thing about you and me is that I lost my Barred Rock roo and ended up replacing him with a Polish roo that my wife saw and felt sorry for at an auction. I built a temorary coop and run that I put him in away from the others for 4 weeks. After I saw that he did not have any sickness or pests I first started out by letting him free range with the girls. At first they did not care much for him but he finally made friends with the three older hens. After a couple of days of that I let him go in with the girls at night. Now he is one of the crowd. Watching/protecting the girls and trying to romance them as well![​IMG]

4. Thortherooster

Thortherooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2009
    CA
    just let him out...break up the fights if they get too rough, i have done this with all my new roos and it all works out fine...i have 9 roos and i have got 3 from the outside, just got a new one on saturday...
    happy holidays...

5. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I'd be most careful with the silkie rooster. They are pretty wimpy. Seems to me they may never get along (not being raised together) and you could be putting him in danger of his life. Maybe new pen for the silkies??

Anyone else? Am I wrong?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  7. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I also wouldn't want my silkie hens being mated by a barred rock rooster. I keep my silkies in a their own pen.

I think the rest of your hens will welcome a barred rock rooster!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. Jacob42

Jacob42 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2009
    Saginaw MN
    My silkie is tougher than the big barred rock, the silkie ripped open the waddles of the big barred rock. I am not concerned about sickness because I know the flock where he cames from. It was my sister in law and her birds are not sick right now and have not been for awhile. My wife let the barred rock out of the cage today for a bit and everyone was nice and calm, the barred rock went up and laid down with the cuckoo murans girls and they really like him and the silkie are leaving him alone now, the barred roo came from a flock where he was dominated and he submitted to the little silkie quickly

9. emys

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I think its only a matter of time before the big guy challenges him for dominance and means it. For your sake, I hope I'm wrong. Perhaps they will just split the flock, each with their own hens.

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That's how I usually do it. [​IMG]

All may be at peace now, but all it takes is one foot out of line for your Silkie to be dancing circles around your BR. I'd still take things very slow. It's easier to keep everyone at bay for a few weeks than have to deal with an injury and keep them seperate for longer. I've done both before and it's easier for both the rooster and caretaker when there is caging between two 'groups'.

I also agree with Emys's post. The BR may see his size as an advantage in battle. Silkie roos can be nasty and pretty good fighters because of mass, but size will always be on the table. Just watch out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by