Added 3 new hens to flock, 1 hen almost pecked to death

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ncffp163, Feb 2, 2014.

1. ncffp163

ncffp163 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    North Central NC
    I have small flock of Buff Orps (1 roo, 3 hens) and Speckled Sussex (3) hens. These had been together since last May when I got them as chicks. I had lost 1 Buff hen and 2 SS since I started the flock. The Buff roo had been wearing the hens out, so I decided to get him some more hens to give the others a little break. I picked up 2 Buff hens and a Buckeye hen yesterday (same age range). I waited until all had gone to roost and then put the newbies in the coop. No problem. Got up this morning and found the Buckeye had been picked bald and was real weak. Don't know if she'll make it or not, but I'm gonna try to save her. No problems with the new Buff hens (so far). I let the old flock out to free range. I do this daily anyway. What can I use for a temp coop until I can try to get the Buckeye healed up? And then what do I need to do to bring her into the flock? Any help would be appreciated!

Eric

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I usually put new hens in a wire crate in the coop. That way the residents get to know the new birds, the new hens get to know their new home, and there's no damage to anyone. After a few days I let them out. There may be minor squabbling but it tends to be minor.

3. ncffp163

ncffp163 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2013
    North Central NC
    I'm having to build a temp coop and run to separate the buckeye from the rest to give her a chance to heal

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

New birds need to be integrated slowly and it's always best to quarantine new birds for at least two weeks, 30 days is even better, far away from your existing flock so you can watch for disease. When your ready to integrate what works well is to fence off part of the run for the new birds and let them sleep in the coop in a wire crate at night. I do this for a couple of weeks. This lets everybody settle down and get used to seeing the new birds and get over that ATTACK THEM AND KILL THEM attitude! After that I start letting everybody free range together and work out any minor pecking order scuffles. Works like a charm. What has never, ever, ever worked for me, with a small flock, is putting new birds in at night. Might work with a large flock but a small flock is smart enough to know when they wake up that there are strangers in the coop and if often doesn't end well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by