Added 4 new hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by skookumchuck, Jan 6, 2013.

1. skookumchuck

skookumchuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    I bought 4 new hens and slipped them into the coop at the end of the day. After 5 days they do not interact at all with my Rooster and 4 other hens. The origional group takes off as fast as they can in the morning when the coop is opened and spend all day out scratching and doing their thing, Then new hens don't go anywhere they just hang at the coop all day. The first day two of them went about 40 feet from the coop, two didn't even go out the door. Hopefully they will intergrate and start to free range with the other hens and the Rooster. This morning when I let them out the roo started to run back to the coop to strut in front of the new hens but they ignored him so he just ran off after the other hens. I may need to get a new roo for these hens as I am wanting to hatch eggs.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Don't do anything drastic yet. Is there much of an age difference in the groups?

Have you checked the eggs the new hens are laying to see if they are fertile? This thread shows pictures of the bull's eye you would be looking for.

Fertile Egg Photos
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16008&p=6

It's not unusual for a rooster to visit hens when you think he isn't. Some of them are pretty talented in that respect. It's also not unusual for new chickens to stay separated for a while when they are first integrated, looking like two separate flocks. This is especially true if the ones staying in the coop are still fairly immature compared to thge others.

I suggest giving them a little more time and check for fertility in the meantime. Chickens don't like change. It often takes them a little time to get used to a new situation.

3. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    The new hens are actually older my origional flock are 8 months old the new hens are 1 year plus just coming out of their molts and back to laying. My Roo is a RIR and they new hens are rose comb RIR and a red sexlink that my Daughter had to have. I am hoping to rise the pure RIR's as my laying flock and cross him to barred rocks for meat production. I am also thinking of getting Chanteclers as I am a Canuck living in the Midest (married a midwest gal). I will have to be patcincant and wait it out.

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Pretty close to the same boat, I had 4 flock mates(3 hens and a roo), about 7 months old, needed and found some hens, to add some body heat to my coup, got 7 leghorns, really not a lot of fighting, but they did hang apart for a few days. Mine have been kept in a run as the days are short now, and the predators are hungry, but in about two weeks, they were more like one flock. Two of the original, still roost side by side at night, but even without disturbing flock dynamics, some birds have friends and some dont.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  5. skookumchuck

Nov 11, 2012
    Jefferson City, MO
    the hens were scappy the first night but have settled down. tonight for the first time some of the new hens are roosting next to the original hens so that looks good. I also cought Reggie flirting with the new girls today so it looks like it will all be ok going forward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by