1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Added a PC fan, 106.7 ????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Just set 4 goose eggs yesterday and my temp has been at 100-102, I added a pc fan and within minutes it went to 104, I downed the temp a good bit thinking the fan was making some extra heat, and I KNOW i didnt turn it up (im paranoid when changing the temp) but walked out for just a few mins came back and its at 106! can the fan seriously be putting off that much heat or is that my actaul temp when having a fan???? turned it back down btw waiting for it to stable

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know, but I think I would just do without the fan at that temperature.

3. FF

FF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quote:Yes. It kind of depends on the fan too. I had that happen to me and it went to 114 degrees. Thoses chickens were toast.I had a few other eggs that I was going to hatch. I waited long enough for me to balance the incubator and it started to balance out at around 101-103. So I has it right where I wanted it. Those next babies all hatched on late 20 and day 21. I has the temperature a little higher on purpose. My suggestion is to take the fan out and when the geese eggs are done, run your incubator with the fan on and balance it out in the same room that will be constant temperature all year round. That's what I did before I put them other eggs in. I set mine 5 days. It worked like a charm afterwards. Hope this helps.

4. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Yes. It kind of depends on the fan too. I had that happen to me and it went to 114 degrees. Thoses chickens were toast.I had a few other eggs that I was going to hatch. I waited long enough for me to balance the incubator and it started to balance out at around 101-103. So I has it right where I wanted it. Those next babies all hatched on late 20 and day 21. I has the temperature a little higher on purpose. My suggestion is to take the fan out and when the geese eggs are done, run your incubator with the fan on and balance it out in the same room that will be constant temperature all year round. That's what I did before I put them other eggs in. I set mine 5 days. It worked like a charm afterwards. Hope this helps.

ok but I got it stable at 100.7 now, should i still take it out or try it ?

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    If you've got it stable I would leave it alone.

6. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    When you go from still air to adding a fan it will cause the temps to spike. If you measured the temp at the top of the still air incubator it would be really hot. The lowest temp in there is around 99. You then mix in all that hot air and take away the temperature gradient and the temps will go up. I've had some problems with cold spots in the incubator and I have to make adjustments if I even move the fan.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by