added eggs to bator 2 days later...anyone else ever done this & any luck?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by featherfriendlyinIowa52, Mar 11, 2012.

1. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    I'd purchased 4 orders on Ebay, the first arrived Monday. By Thursday had received 3 shipments. Didn't want to hold Monday's eggs any longer so started incubation late Thursday night. I'd hoped last shipment would arrive Friday but delivered on Saturday 1:00 pm. I added these eggs to bator at Midnight last night (2 days later). Has anyone ever done this successfully? It was either that or throw out the eggs and I didn't want to do that. I'd like to hear from anyone that has tried this & what happened? They'll have a 5 day lock down so I'm worried about the increased humidity. This is my first experience incubating and already I'm doing it wrong! ARRRUGHGGHH!!

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ive successfully incubated eggs a week apart and put them together no more than a week to 10 days old. They all got along just fine.

If you can, find a second incubator that you can use for hatching out only and keep your other incubator clean and nice. When three days before they are due to hatch, move those eggs to the other incubator to hatch out.

Works pretty well for me.

3. featherfriendlyinIowa52

featherfriendlyinIowa52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    NW Iowa
    Thank you. I've been contemplating spending the money on a 2nd bator. This hobby is getting expensive! ;) Last night I had a scare. Our power went out at 7:30. We have a generator but it was buried in a storage room, battery was dead, out of gas (what else could go wrong) but my husband had it running withing 20 minutes so I figure we're fine, however, I was shocked how quickly the temp dropped and the humidity climbed. Don't want that happening every day or I'll have the big one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by