ADDED MORE PICS.....Please judge my silkie roo, Mr.T

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BBK, Sep 11, 2009.

1. BBK

BBK Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    He's 4 months old and non-bearded. He has 5 toes, not the greatest seperation, but all are there.

I really want to know about his body type. Is there anything good about him? [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Melinda

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. Hurst

Hurst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Whitestown,Indiana
    To me he looks really good but what you should do is show him to see if he is show quality.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks good from the neck down.

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Positives.... Good skin color, good feathering to mid toe, very little hard feathering in cushion, nice short back, holds wings level, nice round body.

Negatives.... That comb is extremely large for only a 4 month old. Crest is small and flat, will probably look even smaller as comb gets larger with age. The wings, while still held level, are not held tight to the body and tucked under the saddle and cushion feathers. The primaries stick out like he probably has split wing. Take a pic where you spread his wing out.... I bet there is a break in the pattern of the feathers. Fairly common problem and it will show up in future generations if you use him for breeding.

5. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    Thanks..i'll take more pics when i have some help. I'll get the wing and the front face too, thought I had one of those, but didn't.

Do you think his top will grow in more? It looked like this since I've had him, not as poofy as the rest of them. Do you lose points for that?

Thanks again
    melinda

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    He also appears to be bearded. [​IMG] Non-bearded faces do not have all that fuzz or the puffy cheeks.

7. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    o...kay....I thought bearded was a big poofy under his beak...So, you're saying he is bearded...huh! interesting. Thanks for the info. [​IMG]

Melinda

8. BBK

Apr 14, 2009
    upstate NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hope these help.
    melinda

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    he appears to have a nice short back, good stance, soft tail, nice blue earlobes. Comb will be large but he has no prominant wattles which is good and yes, he is bearded. Crest is very small so that is a big negative to me. he should be mated to hens that have large crests.

10. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    It looks like split wing to me still. There should be a nice even spread of the wing and there is a pretty obvious break in there. He is bearded although not as heavily as most exhibition birds. Comb isn't horrible yet, but it will get bigger and leave less space for the crest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by