added my chickens together one not doing well

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by redstarbill, Jun 28, 2010.

1. redstarbill

redstarbill Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    I added my chickens together 5 days ago. 4 older ones 3yrs old. and 6 younger 2yr. old. all hens. they did the usual picking and thought everything was ok, but one off the younger hens is taking a beating her head and neck are bleeding and picked at. she won't come out of the coop. put food and water in for her, she stays perched. what can I do? will the hen pecking stop? not sure why the singled her out.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    if there is blood you must remove her or they wont stop till she is dead

3. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    If she is bleeding - - - she needs to be separated until she heals [​IMG]
    When you do return her to the flock - - - make sure there are extra feeders and extra waters.
    Also, make sure you add hiding places so that she has places to get away from the pickers.

My first attempt at merging went like yours - - no blood but a lot of feathers were lost.
    I did the above and when I returned the injured hen to the flock she was OK - - still lowest on pecking order - - - but OK. I make sure when I give treats out that I pick her up and she gets first pick from me. Now I am her favorite [​IMG]

My second attempt at merging flocks was yesterday and it went without a hitch. I did it at dusk as everybody was heading towards bed for the night. I had a separate roosting place set up for the newbies. The old ones woke up this morning to the new ones and it has been peace and harmony all day. These guys have been able to see each other for over a month, but not able to get to each other. I still made sure there were extra feeders, waters, and hiding places.

4. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Try separating her with another one of her cohorts. Put Neosporin on her wounds and put her with another more docile hen that was in her original group. I have found this to be effective. They will stick together when you join them back with the others. I have found they do better that way. If you put her by herself for a few days she may not ever be able to join the others.

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    make sure you DO NOT use the Neosporin with Pain reliever. . . . That one is not good for animals

6. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Wondering what you used for hiding spaces? My BO girls get picked on and could use something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by