1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Added new chicks today! Now what?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TanteK, Mar 2, 2013.

1. TanteK

TanteK Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Central Texas
    Should I leave the six newest feathere memebers seperated from the other 4 SLW that are a little over a week old and if so, for how long?

I have no idea what they are yet other than 2 white pullets (white leghorn maybe??) and 4 Red Pullets (hoping at least one of those is a Production)

Thanks!!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Did all your birds come from the same source? If so you could try integrating them and keep watch to see how it goes. If they are from different sources if would be prudent to isolate the two groups apart from each other, for a month or so - to guard against them spreading disease or parasites that may not be obvious now.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I concur with Drumstick Diva - all that age they should be fine. But, as stated, quarantining might be in order if the birds are from different places. Good luck to you!!

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would pop them right in there. At only about a week old or so the older birds will be fine with the new additions. You should still watch them but they should be fine. I'll add newbies to a brooder box up until the older ones are a couple or three weeks old, never had a problem. I don't quarantine new, day old chicks. If you are going to do a proper quarantine your looking at about 30 days and the longer you wait to put them with the others the more integration issues your going to have.

5. TanteK

Feb 28, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thanks for the info Diva! Unfortunately, they did come from two different sources (local feed store and TSC) so I just may quarantine them.

6. TanteK

Feb 28, 2013
    Central Texas
    That was my initial thinking to CA. However... mine are from two different places, one I trust, and one that shouldn't be horrible but you never know...

I'll have to think about it. I have a seperate tub that the newbies are in so....

Ah! It's like being a new mom again! [​IMG]

7. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    Quarentine!!!!!!!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by