Added pine shavings - need grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by valmoisy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. valmoisy

valmoisy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    I just added pine shavings to the brooder of my almost 4 week old chicks and they're pecking and eating it like crazy. Do they need grit to digest the pine shavings? I don't have any right now but could get some tomorrow, will that cause a problem? They've only eaten chick crumbles up to this point. Thanks for any advice.

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Nope.. from what I understand they need grit if they are getting a lot of treats such as yogurt. [​IMG]

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Not true on that last statement. Chicks on crumbles don't need grit as chick food is water soluable. All other things they consume that are not water soluable need to be ground up in the gizzard. So yes, they do need grit to break down wood shavings. My babies eat a TON of shavings when growing up so it won't hurt them, but I would get them some grit to help digest it. [​IMG]

4. smokeykk

smokeykk Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    They shouldn't be eating the pine shavings, nothing will unstick them from that. And they don't need grit if they have hard boiled egg or yogurt, but anything else, yes they need grit

5. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

Try putting some news paper over the shavings. They should not be eating them make sure they know where the food is and they have plenty. After a while just put a handful of shavings on top and a little more each day. The only time they need grit is when you start with snacks like meal worms or grapes or other hard textures.[​IMG]

6. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Why not? Mine eat the very tiny parts all the time after I change the brooder shavings. They have been doing this for 3 weeks now and so far no issues.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    No, they shouldn't be eating pine shavings. But the fact is, chickens will eat everything in front of them. They will pick up everything to feel it's texture and taste it to see if it is edible. If it does not disolve in water added to the crop and stomach, it will need to be ground up in the gizzard. Simple as that. [​IMG]

Offer grit. Why take the chance.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by