Added some light - now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pbjmaker, Dec 31, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We added a light to the coop that I turn on around 5 am. I would LOVE to see some eggs. How long does it usually take for the light to have an affect?

I have one hen that laid up until October then quit (serama) and the rest are D'uccles and an EE that are 26/27 weeks old. The D'uccles had bright red combs over a month ago and started squatting about 2-3 weeks ago. I figure the EE isn't quite ready yet. I also have a Cuckoo Maran, Golden Lakenvelder and Cochins that are 19/20 weeks old.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Patience... you should start getting them soon.

If the light goes on at 5AM it shouldn't go off until at least 7PM... that will give them 14 hours.

EEs are always slow... I had some that didn't lay until they were almost 7 months old.

The rest should start laying in the next couple of weeks.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    It could take a couple of weeks before the light starts working. Just make sure they are getting a full 14 hours.

Mahonri - as far as EE's ALWAYS being slow mine started laying at 18 weeks [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Mine started laying again 2 weeks after I added the light. [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    PBJMaker, it almost sounds like some of your birds were "winding themselves up" to start laying before you turned on a light. Of course, you may want ALL of them to get with the program, right?

I don't know your location but I've lived near 49° North over forty years and have never gotten used to the rapid changes in hours of daylight. I can guess what it is like for an animal living outdoors.

Most people buy Spring Chicks and by the time they come out from under the brooder light - the hours of daylight are already decreasing. As they reach 5 months of age, half of every 24 hours is spent in darkness. And, it only gets darker and darker . . . [​IMG]

What I have done is catch things when darkness extends for about 13 hours and turn it around. Then I slowly increase the hours of light until the birds are all laying. Slowly is a key. I think I went a little too far with it this Fall, trying to kick the last laggard into gear - went to 15 hours. Now, I will be afraid to turn off their coop light until nearly May or they will be in a decreasing-light situation [​IMG].

If it works with your schedule, try increasing their light about 5 minutes every day. In a week, they will be up another one-half hour, 2 weeks, another hour . . .

You'll need to stop somewhere, I mean, I get 16 hours of sunlight . . . in June( [​IMG]!), but you may not. And, the poultry scientists tell us that greater than 17 hours of light has no benefit with regards to egg production, at all.

Steve

6. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Quote:14 hours huh? I thought it was 12. The sun is setting at 5 now so I will have to increase the lighting by 2 hours to get to 14. I guess I will have to get one of those timer things for the plug-in.

7. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    YAY! After one week of supplemental light - I got my first egg!

I am pretty sure it was one of my millies. This egg is light brown and the serama laid rounder, tinted eggs if I recall correctly (I only got three from her before she went to the dark side with the millies and quit laying)

Now I will be constantly looking for eggs I guess....

8. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

CONGRATS !!!!

WAY TO GO GILRS !!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by