Added to the flock today, I'm so excited!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by PapaChaz, Mar 27, 2011.

1. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    I've been wanting to add to the flock, some more layers while I wait for the 8 chicks from TSC to start making me breakfast.... I found a man who had several laying hens for sale. I went and picked up 1 wheaten ameraucana, 2 brown-red ameraucanas and a buff orphington! While I was there I picked up a black copper maran and a buff chochin?? for son in law. That was a long ride home for those six ladies, no doubt!

I have them separated in the runs i built last week. my four new ones are all already friends having free ranged around together already, how long should i keep the runs divided between them and my other hens and roo? 2 or 3 days, or longer? they'll be able to see each other, my divider is just another section of hardware cloth. i'm thinking i'll keep all of them in the runs for a couple of days, then maybe by wednesday, i'll let them all free range together? or is that too soon?

Pics tomorrow, it was dark by the time we got home with the new girls tonight....

2. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    30 days quarantine would be a good start..you just never know what you could have brought home. Myself...I would keep them farther apart. I err on the cautious side.

Although seeing as they are all new (from same breeder) I may rethink that.... Chicks can not be added until they are about the same size.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    thanks, i knew not to let the chicks mix in until they were the same size so they could defend themselves! LOL, so i should keep the 4 new ones separate from the others for 30 days??? wow that seems like a long time. I was at his place for quite a while watching all his birds. he has a nice set up, they were all running around together, no sick looking birds any where...
    i didn't realize i would have to keep them apart so long, now it's time to rethink some sleeping arrangements... LOL

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    The hens you got from the one guy and all stay together if they lived at the same place. Keep these birds away from yours for 30 days. Also make sure while caring for them you wash your hands and change clothes when dealing with your birds. The ones you picked up for son in law should be fine with the ones you bought for yourself. Good luck and have fun with your new birds. Also know that the hens might stop laying for a while, while they adjust to their new home.

5. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    i never got around to posting pics, so here goes. AND i got my first blue egg today! i don't know which of the ameraucana's laid it, but it sure is pretty! she even laid it in the nest box!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Pretty girls and a lovely egg. Hope all goes smoothly in the introduction phase for you.

7. PapaChaz

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Quote:thanks! they're in adjacent runs, and don't seem to pay a lot of attention to each other, the buff orp i had already really did NOT like the cochin i had brought home for my son in law, it was in a different run, and they pecked at each other through the mesh constantly for about 15 minutes. He came and got them later that day, so no worries there. I'm not gonna be in any hurry to mix them, i have plenty of space to keep them separate for a while

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by