Addicted and proud!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by spacepony, Oct 2, 2011.

1. spacepony

spacepony Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2011
    near Yorkville, GA
    Good morning all!

I've been watching BYC for a while now, and finally I've signed on!

We (my DH and I, and two girls) have been keeping chickens for a few years now, but this past spring I really started having 'the fever.' It started as a random chicken rescue - someone let loose a flock of chickens across the creek from us, (hunting property), and while only one managed to cross the creek onto my side (with a little snack encouragement) before the coyotes, foxes, coons, owls found 'em, I had one! Add in the grandmother who slipped in two fertilized eggs when she went broody, and it's escalated from there!

A chicken tractor popped up somewhere in this time, and this last spring I stalked the feed store for 6 EE's (hopefully for pretty eggs for my eldest daughter). After loosing 2/3 to predators, and an overzealous puppy, and I just HAD TO have more!

So as it stands, my addiction has brought me to 3 free range game chickens who refuse to be cooped, two EE's who refuse to lay, 4 geese guards, and 16 young pullets who just got out of the brooder and into the temporary coop (some more EE's and 11 barred rocks), and major plans to have a new coop and chicken yard hopefully before Christmas.....oh, did I mention I suddenly have a desire to keep Indian Running ducks, too???

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    And so it starts . . . Welcome [​IMG]. Glad you are here [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. dsquawker

dsquawker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Bluegrass State
    That's an awesome story. Chicken obsessions always start somewhere, somehow, don't they? I just joined too after following BYC for months too. I love it. It kind of sucks being new because you can't post photos yet, but all in good time. Barred Rocks are beautiful. I will add some to my flock someday. We have some rare breeds and some reds, black stars, and a leghorn. Awesome and fun. I can't ever see myself living without chickens. Good luck building your coop. There are so many designs. We just converted our huge shed into a fun space for our birds and added a door and everything. Winter is coming here in the Colorado Rockies so they need a nice, safe, and protected, warm area to roost. Glad you're here on the forum. Talk to you later. Angela

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you aboard. Sounds like you have been totally bitten by the bug!

[​IMG]

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, spacepony and [​IMG]. Great to have you aboard! Sorry you are having some contrary birds right now [​IMG] I'm sure they'll become more cooperative soon. Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by