Addicted to Chicks...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lattefrog, Jul 3, 2011.

1. lattefrog

lattefrog New Egg

Jul 3, 2011
    Hi! My name is Christine, and I'm a school teacher who wanted to take on a summer project. So... Why not get chicks?

We live in a 100+ year old farmhouse out in the country, so we need to finally put some real farm animals on it:

Our first four girls are now about 3 weeks old (boy do they grow fast) 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and a Black Langshan. (Sateen, Harmony, Fern and Gaga (aka GG). Then about a week later we got 5 more: Buff Orpington (Honey), RIR (Ruby, although my daughter named her Omelette), Blue Langshan (Sapphire now GISELLE) I have a question about this one, as her name may change again!! - Australorp (Ada Monroe), & Plymouth Rock (Marilla) and 3 days later when the new batch arrived at the Feed Store, we went back for our Ameraucanas (Poppy & Cordelia) and our Buff Orpington rooster (Tango- I know--- everyone is freaking out that we got a rooster, but the market had one and he's very mellow). I was only going back for the 3 but saw a Black Silky and in honor of my friend whose birthday it was, I got her and named her Marisol, and my 15 year old son was with me and I decided to get him a Sicilian Buttercup and we found the name Fiorella which means little flower. He thought is was perfect, so those are our new babies, and they are like babies. I fuss and coo over them every morning. My family thinks I've lost my mind and have begun calling me the Chicken Lady.

What I knew about chickens when I actually got the first batch was pretty much nothing! I have been on the internet continuously as well as reading Living with Chickens, which has already proven lifesaving for poor Marilla (pasting). The coop is in the process of being built. If I had to do it over, I guess I would have had the coop before the chickens, but then they might not have happened at all. Like so many things in life. So today I had a question about how to keep my babies attached to me. As they get older they seem to become a bit more cautious. I continue to pick up an hold the little ones, and I've taken the older girls outside to peck around for a bit. But I really want them to be my pets and not run from me. In my quest I came across this forum, and Voila! Here I am typing instead of getting ready for church!

About the blue langshan- I had a question about whether she really is a langshan or not. She doesn't have the feathered legs like the black and doesn't seem small like her either. Is there a possibility that she is an Andalusian?

Thank you for any information you can give me. My family is calling and I need to get ready!
    Christine

2. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    Hello Christine! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi Christine. [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I don't know anything about Langshans, but I'm sure someone on here will have the info you need. [​IMG]

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. scottysquails

scottysquails Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    [​IMG] from MS [​IMG]

6. Eyeshooter

Eyeshooter Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2011
    Hi, Christine.

I think the teacher came to the right place to learn about chickens!

7. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rockinpaints

rockinpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio [​IMG]

9. weimarmama