addicted to the heat lamps. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickiemom25, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    ok the 3 4 week olds are together in a 50 gallon tote and the 2 6 week olds are in an extra large dog crate. but every time I check on them, they are sendentary.. the little ones eat and sleep. thats it.. THey lay around under the heat lamp ( its upper 70s but theye still lay under the lamp) sleepings and resting all day. The older 2 are perched on the roosts all day... I would think they would walk around more but lately, they dont do squat. The older ones seem pretty completely feathered but when I left their light off last night (in was in the 60s's) they were huddled up on the floor of the crate instead of on the perches. Is this normal? I would think they woud walk about more and start avoiding the lamp

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Turn off the heat lamps during the day (if your house is above 65 degrees) - this will encourage them to move a bit more. If the younger babies start to cry, and heap/huddle together then turn their lamp back on. At 6 weeks, my chicks no longer have a heat lamp (unless it is the middle of winter and they are outside).

What do you have for them to do?

Put some items that will perk their interest - a sand box, hunk of sod, half an apple - do you have a small, chick safe area for them to spend a bit of time outside?

3. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I end their addiction by turning off the brooder light at around 3 weeks old. They get to sleep in the dark and they have to learn to like it. I just make sure they're not piled up too high and that they're not in a drafty place. This is also around the same time I introduce nipple waterers to them, and that gives them something to do and learn.
    Also at 3 weeks old mine turn into rambunctious little things, bouncing off the walls...maybe they get too much rest and sleep with the light off? I notice they get to sleep more (and more peacefully) when it's dark.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  4. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Sprinkle treats in the litter like fine ground corn and it encourages them to scratch and putter.

5. Chickiemom25

Chickiemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    North Alabama
    they do get treats a couple times a day... but go back to sitting around afterwards.. I was waiting for the littler ones to be ready to move to the coop before moving any of them.. hoping the change in environment will make it easier to integrate teh 2 groups.. In the mean time I want to rebuild the run so they can get room to walk around outside.. I fear they are still too small to stand up to an attack by the neighbor cat who is totally confused at this point. The dog crate is outside so they get to see the world go by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by