We Quit Cigarettes

Oh wow I had no idea it was so easy!! Hahah might have to try it! And I could always add like a tiny bit of sugar or something if I wanted and I’d know it was real sugar and not corn syrup or soy or vegetable oil or whatever other weird stuff they put in peanut butter now haha
I really don't think you'll need to. Fresh, warm peanut butter is delicious in its own right.

What? No! When determining speed limits, engineers go out and consider crash rates, roadway features, and the speed of existing traffic. They don't want to make it lower than they need to, or more people will ignore it and it then only serves to make the traffic speed less cohesive. (That's not to say cops won't take advantage of areas where the limit change is sudden and drastic. Been there, done that.) I believe the rule of thumb is generally to use the speed that 85% of traffic travels, with reductions factored in if the collision rate is high in the area. I can't speak for state-level rules; I am not familiar with those nor how they are set.

Speed limits aren't generally determined by how fast you can possibly take the car around the road safely, because I could take the corners at 90 if I wanted. It's how fast you can react to unexpected things. Nobody expects an accident, yet every year, millions still happen. You can't plan for the best case. You have to plan for a kid behind a parked car, running towards the road... the person ahead slamming on their brakes, or losing control of their car, or the person backing out of their driveway forgetting to check their blind spot and sideswiping you.

I may be a bit more of a stodgy rule-follower than most drivers, but hey, I'm still here and my insurance bill isn't scary. :old

I recommend taking a defensive driving class. The techniques they teach are helpful no matter what your experience level is.

Thanks!! This is really helpful and that makes a lot of sense. Honestly though, not that it makes it any better, when I’m in a crowded spot, like downtown, or in a parking lot or something like that with lots of pedestrians and traffic and stuff, I don’t use it and pay full attention. But I really probably shouldn’t use it at all, empty area or not. There could be a deer or a dog or something.

Hey I think I need this one :lau but also like.... seriously. :oops:

FA92AB26-5774-49D8-8060-D0BB6B1DDFEC.png

Thanks!! This is really helpful and that makes a lot of sense. Honestly though, not that it makes it any better, when I’m in a crowded spot, like downtown, or in a parking lot or something like that with lots of pedestrians and traffic and stuff, I don’t use it and pay full attention. But I really probably shouldn’t use it at all, empty area or not. There could be a deer or a dog or something.

Hey I think I need this one :lau but also like.... seriously. :oops:

View attachment 2032683
Wildlife, downed branches, bad road conditions, you name it. I've seen unmarked wires down across the road after a windstorm. Not something one would like to drive into.

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's state-level laws that restrict your highway speeds to 65, not local laws.

Could be. It’s a state road. But it varies a lot. The main one I use is 60 but anther one is 65. But also sometimes even the same road is slower in some spots. Like way down towards the Cape it’s like 55. Which I think is stupid but I think it’s designed for cape traffic maybe? It gets extremely crowded in the summer.

Could be. It’s a state road. But it varies a lot. The main one I use is 60 but anther one is 65. But also sometimes even the same road is slower in some spots. Like way down towards the Cape it’s like 55. Which I think is stupid but I think it’s designed for cape traffic maybe? It gets extremely crowded in the summer.
Possibly. Particularly if it has many on- and off-ramps and tourists unfamiliar with the area and which exit they may need.

Wildlife, downed branches, bad road conditions, you name it. I've seen unmarked wires down across the road after a windstorm. Not something one would like to drive into.

Yeah, that’s true. You never know what you are going to run into which I guess is why I should pay attention!! Although I don’t go out during storms. :D

Possibly. Particularly if it has many on- and off-ramps and tourists unfamiliar with the area and which exit they may need.

Oddly there really aren’t many exits and its a long way between them but there is a popular museum/living history thing right before that and then also to get to Cape Cod there’s bridges so that may be why because you’re coming up on the bridge and it will be backed up for miles and miles. Like from way way off the cape/north. Gridlocked

What? No! When determining speed limits, engineers go out and consider crash rates, roadway features, and the speed of existing traffic. They don't want to make it lower than they need to, or more people will ignore it and it then only serves to make the traffic speed less cohesive. (That's not to say cops won't take advantage of areas where the limit change is sudden and drastic. Been there, done that.) I believe the rule of thumb is generally to use the speed that 85% of traffic travels, with reductions factored in if the collision rate is high in the area. I can't speak for state-level rules; I am not familiar with those nor how they are set.

Speed limits aren't generally determined by how fast you can possibly take the car around the road safely, because I could take the corners at 90 if I wanted. It's how fast you can react to unexpected things. Nobody expects an accident, yet every year, millions still happen. You can't plan for the best case. You have to plan for a kid behind a parked car, running towards the road... the person ahead slamming on their brakes, or losing control of their car, or the person backing out of their driveway forgetting to check their blind spot and sideswiping you. Even if it isn't a built up area, a moose on the road could easily kill you.

I may be a bit more of a stodgy rule-follower than most drivers, but hey, I'm still here and my insurance bill isn't scary. :old

I recommend taking a defensive driving class. The techniques they teach are helpful no matter what your experience level is.
Also, the reduced speed limit on sharp bends is based on the maximum speed your car can go before it overcomes the static frictional force on the road and starts skidding.
They don't pull those numbers out of their butt!

Back
Top Bottom