We Quit Cigarettes

Well, who knew this madness was coming? It might just take us a little more time is all :hugs

What really made me give up was saying goodbye to my best buddy last Sunday. She was closing in on 12 yrs. Broke my heart.
View attachment 2078999
What a beautiful girl. So heartbreaking when they go on before us. Nothing good can ever be truly lost, though. Only ill things fall away. Good things--good friends just go on a little ahead of us to scout out the way.

Very nice of you to ask, Sapphire! Unfortunately I've allowed the stress of this new world, among other things, to destroy my progress. I'm confident I'll get back there, but... Not today :oops:

Hope you and everyone else are doing well.
I fell off with the whole possum got my chicken thing. It was one too many issues at once. Once the possum had met his maker. I quit again, so far so good, Come join me when you are ready, @Meg-in-MT :hugs (i'll even let you take out a possum :gig)

Well, who knew this madness was coming? It might just take us a little more time is all :hugs

What really made me give up was saying goodbye to my best buddy last Sunday. She was closing in on 12 yrs. Broke my heart.
View attachment 2078999
Oh Meg. So sorry to hear & see such warm memories in those pics.

I'm close to your situation currently.
A) Saydie-Brin (silver doodle) is 11+ and has tumors all over. She's a stoic sort and has an amazing high pain tolerance. She may have a few years left in her.
B) Curry (shih tzu) 11+ and on heart meds that just got 'upped a month ago. He might have another year with us.
C) Sandy (Irish wolfhound mix) 11+ and last month we did an ultrasound & x-rays to see what's happening.... Cancers has eaten up her liver big-time. Our longtime Vet said she likely has a few months left in her.

These are 3 geriatric of our 8 rescues.

I am not looking forward to the last call for Sandy to go-to the vet. She's had a hard life. Took me 18 months to get her to relax her resources guarding issues as well as toys too. It's gonna be really hard to make that round trip drive......

Had a horrendous week. Haven't been online again for a week, we lost our dog that got sick at the beginning of this thread. :-( We got a wonderful extra few weeks, and I'll always be thankful for that, but it's just been a hard week. I lost 3 dogs this year, and I am awful with change. AWFUL. However, with so many animals in my life, I really have lately come to appreciate more the "seasons" of life. I can see in myself that everything right now for me is a change in season of my life. My husband and I have been married 12 years, we have moved from urban life to rural, we have a kid now, our original dogs are all gone, and I'm making the necessary moves and commitments for what I find important in my life.

But smoking is this awful breakup that is proving so much harder than I thought it would be. I think I've said it before, but I feel like I am giving up this part of me. It's insane and dumb, but, it is what it is. All this rambling to say that I think I am maybe—albeit slowly—coming to terms with this change for me. This holding on and fighting against the change is a typical part of my pattern, but, it's just taking longer.

I've had good days and bad. A couple entire days without a cigarette still, although maybe less than in the beginning. Im actually thinking I may need to call in a prescription to get me through this last hump I can't seem to let go of 1-3 (the day we lost our dog 4 or 5) cigarettes a day. I'm not losing hope AT ALL, but I am just frustrated and feeling like I've stuck myself in some Groundhog Day reality. I go through this entire (chemical addiction related, Im sure) conversation with myself that I shouldn't need a prescription when I can go so far from 20+ cigarettes a day for years to 1, and that the best way for me to do this is without any help, but then I also see myself constantly sabotaging myself.

I'm giving myself the rest of this week to fight the fight myself, and I'll call my doctor for chantix next Monday if I have to.

Sorry to be a bit of a downer, but, there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Do it your way, you will be better for it in the end. As I read your story i was particularly moved by the fact that you are down to so few smokes a day. I smoked 3 packs a day for 50 years, yes you read that right. There is no single right way. You really have to do it the way that works for you. I think you have figured that out on your own. So what if it takes longer than others, Your way is the best for YOU and you are the important person in all of this. You have got this @jolenesdad, this week was not the one to either give up trying or give up smoking. Keep us posted and in the words of Frank Sanatra "do it your way"

Back
Top Bottom