We Quit Cigarettes

That's "Good night; sleep tight; and don't let the bedbugs bite!" :p

It's an old blessing. Good night is obvious, of course. Sleep tight refers to the string woven from one side of the bed frame to the other & from end to end. That's what our box springs and slats replaced. As you can appreciate, one would want the strings as tight as humanly possible! As for bedbugs, it's my understanding that bedbugs once occupied nearly all beds. :eek:

I tell my kidlets, "Good night, sleep tight, don't bite the bedbugs." 😆 Old family joke.

That's "Good night; sleep tight; and don't let the bedbugs bite!" :p

It's an old blessing. Good night is obvious, of course. Sleep tight refers to the string woven from one side of the bed frame to the other & from end to end. That's what our box springs and slats replaced. As you can appreciate, one would want the strings as tight as humanly possible! As for bedbugs, it's my understanding that bedbugs once occupied nearly all beds. :eek:
I do recall sharing this detail way back in this thread.... I learned in Theatre history class that the sleep tight was referring back to early Victorian era or just before when they would wrap the infant in "swaddling clothes" so tightly that they couldn't move & there by not roll over and suffocate in their sleep. This was one of those topics that became a big class discussion that took up more then one class session too. It's where I had a realization and shared with the class that from then onward I would wish them "sleep relaxed" as that's a healthier choice then the history it's associated with.....

Food for thought eh?

@Kiki it's day 52! Congrats!
day 52 kyle 100-days-of-Meditation-Day-52.png

Sleep well or relaxed or whatever word you can find in the thesaurus :confused: :oops:
I haven't actively used a thesaurus in at least a decade & a 1/2 for me personally. I have occasionally with kiddos for their class work a little bit over the last few years. Mostly telling them to look it up; after all it's a tool they should be comfy with. Occasionally they didn't agree or believe me & I'd suggest to prove me wrong. I don't mind being wrong- heck I make tons of mistakes & I've joked about being, "more human than human" for all the mistakes & failures I have.... To borrow a lyric which is still quite fun.:p

And please understand that this is how my brain works. I'm not a fan of profanity and have been teased about this 'larger then normal vocabulary' alot over the decades- IRL as well as online.

Cheers.

I haven't actively used a thesaurus in at least a decade & a 1/2 for me personally. I have occasionally with kiddos for their class work a little bit over the last few years. Mostly telling them to look it up; after all it's a tool they should be comfy with. Occasionally they didn't agree or believe me & I'd suggest to prove me wrong. I don't mind being wrong- heck I make tons of mistakes & I've joked about being, "more human than human" for all the mistakes & failures I have.... To borrow a lyric which is still quite fun.:p

And please understand that this is how my brain works. I'm not a fan of profanity and have been teased about this 'larger then normal vocabulary' alot over the decades- IRL as well as online.

Cheers.
Well, I was wrong... https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/sleep-tight.html

Back
Top Bottom