1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding 1 older chicken to my new flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bennettchickens, Jun 27, 2016.

1. bennettchickens

bennettchickens New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    I have a older chicken about 2 months older then my babes (6 hens 2 roosters, and 2 guinea fowls) the roosters will be re homed soon before they are moved to the enclosure,
    I started a flock in spring with 12 hens and all got taken by predators except the one so we restarted rebuilt the coop and are awaiting the babes to hit 8 weeks old so they can be moved outdoors.
    my question is how do i integrate my older chicken into the new flock. so far if we put her near them she pecks them and the rooster attacks her. any suggestions would be great.

2. Chickensfan

Chickensfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    put her in an enclosed crate or cage or anything like that and put some food and water in there. Then put the hen there. She will watch the others all day and they cannot attack each other.
    ~hope this helps!

3. bennettchickens

bennettchickens New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    How long should i do this til i try to release her

4. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    try a whole day and night. The next morning, release her. If this does not work, try another day. That just might break the spell. Let me know if it works!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, it might take longer than one day and night.

6. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    true. usually it does for my chickens. otherwise, i would just keep trying till i gave up.

7. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    I'd putt the cage with her in it near the feed and water too. That is where much of the squabbling happens, so having her there may just up her "street cred" a little, if that makes sense (as opposed to having her tucked away in a far corner, which is suggests she's timid or weak).

8. Chickensfan

Jun 26, 2016
    California!
    and by the way...i know a person who really needs help on here. could you please visit their thread "I Think My Pullet Has Pink Eye!"?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by