1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding 2-3 month ols to current flock of 5 hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by margaretbird, Sep 1, 2014.

1. margaretbird

margaretbird New Egg

May 17, 2011
    I plan to integrate newbies to current flock. The hens are 3 years old, 2 Jersey Giants, one Buff Orp and two Wyandotts. The run is a large one. Newbies(2-3 months old) are Polish (3), a Mille Fleur and one Sultan, all hand raised. I know that I need to separate them inside the run with fencing, no problem. What do I need to provide at NIGHT for the newbies until I have introduced them to older girls and the roosts (playhouse in the run)? Should I be worried about the variety of breeds?

2. Howlet

Howlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    u can mix breeds. for at night, id bring them inside...???? XD im gonna have 2 do this next spring when my silkies come XD

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

A wire dog crate is good for in the coop at night. This lets the other birds get used to seeing them in there but they aren't able to get at them. Integrating new birds into small flocks is very often a challenge at best, if any of the new birds look different, like a Polish, it can make it harder. Just don't rush it. Wait until the youngsters are a good 12 to 15 weeks old and give them a few weeks of being in the run separated by a fence. A lot of pecking order scuffles can be worked out through a fence and gives everybody time to settle down. When it's time to integrate, If you let them out to free range at all this is a good time to also let the youngsters out. Plenty of room to get away.

4. margaretbird

margaretbird New Egg

May 17, 2011
    don't they need some sort of roost?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They'll get by until they are integrated with the flock. The main object at this point is to protect them from getting the snot beat out of them, or worse, by the older birds.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by