Adding 3 birds to one.... ??

5280native

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 18, 2014
Long story short, had 4 ladies, 3 are no longer with us. one Easter Egger left (pullet, late bloomer 8 mos old or so)

Just added 2 Icelandic/Amercuana mix (6 mos old or so, sisters) yesterday afternoon and one Buff Orpington (5 mos old or so) today.

All are about same size

the established bird is now in her coop with food, water treats and distractions, the two sisters are in a large wire dog crate with the same next to the coop, and the buff is now wandering in the run which is next to the coop and the kennel.

Seen tons of posts on how to add birds to a flock, but not how to add a flock (3) to a bird.
Going to let them meet/greet as there was already a hen-peck (which is normal I know), and then let them run around the yard, and then back to our set up... wash, rinse repeat over the next couple days

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. Not sure what to do with the sleeping situation (It's Colorado and cold tonight)
We can leave the established bird to sleep in her coop, bring the sisters in to sleep in the kennel with a roost tonight (as they did last night) but then what to do with the buf.... ugh.... chicken drama

Really I think that is a lot of work.

I would put everyone together tonight in the coop if they really are all about the same size. In the run, I would lean a pallet or a scap of plywood up against the wall, I would put another pallet up on bricks, but not real high. I would add a couple feed stations and an extra water bowl, a distance apart. This will allow them to get away and out of sight of each other.

Then I would go to bed. Ten to one, they will be fine the next day. Way easier than all those pens.

Mrs K

Thanks Mrs. K.
#s 1,2, and 3 are getting along fine already. We will introduce #4 tonight... made it warmer in there too.

My wife loves the birds, so I tend to ovethink things that can go wrong ;)

The only hesitation I'd have is not having quarantined the new girls from each other and hen-solo before combining them. You'll want to watch all of them carefully for any signs of illness.

Really I think that is a lot of work.

I would put everyone together tonight in the coop if they really are all about the same size. In the run, I would lean a pallet or a scap of plywood up against the wall, I would put another pallet up on bricks, but not real high. I would add a couple feed stations and an extra water bowl, a distance apart. This will allow them to get away and out of sight of each other.

Then I would go to bed. Ten to one, they will be fine the next day. Way easier than all those pens.

Mrs K
This is what I would do, too. I'm more of a "get it all over and let them work it out" type, and have never lost birds when moving to new pens.

I assume that your 2 + 1 came from different sources. They've all been exposed to each other at this time, so any attempts at quarantine are moot. Your single girl has the home court advantage, so just let them duke it out. What did you mean by: wash, rinse, repeat? Enjoy your new gals.

Back
Top Bottom