Adding 3 new hens advise please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SuziQ991, Jan 22, 2010.

1. SuziQ991

SuziQ991 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I got my first chickens in August as 2 week olds. 7 total, 1 turned out to be a roo. Well, I had bad luck I guess and lost 4, leaving 2 hens and the roo. I am now wanted to add 3 more hens and I found a man selling them. I am prepared to quarentine then for at least a month in a separate cage in a separate area. My chickens are 6 months old and the ones I am going to look at are 10 months old. Here are some questions I have:
    1 What should I look for when I go look at them?
    2 If I get them should I worm them right away? If so, with what? Should I dust them for mites? Actually I have only dusted mine once and a few days later is when I lost most of mine. I used Sevin
    3 If I worm-dust them, should I throw away the eggs and for how long?

I have been reading here on how to introduce them to the flock. After the quarentine I plan on putting their cage in the coop at night and moving it into the run during the day for a couple weeks, so they can get used to each other without fighting. I have a 10x20 run (no free range). I will monitor them when released together. I have read on here to add extra feeders and waterers also. Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks

2. SuziQ991

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I don't mean to be impatient but I will be looking at the new hens tomorrow and would like to know what every thinks......soooooBUMP. Thanks

3. RAWR

RAWR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    who wants to know?
    well, you want to make sure nothing is wrong with the bird
    and im not to sure about anything else [​IMG]

4. SuziQ991

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    Thanks, I am guessing: clear eyes and nose? Nice feathers? Good weight?

5. FortWorthChicks

FortWorthChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Have not done this yet but have read about it.

I read that its a good idea to put them into the coop at night after everyone is roosting. From what I gathered they wake up together and often are like well we slept together..... They will be pecking it out to establish order and ranks. Thats natural.

Best of luck!!

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yup, that's what I would do, nice looking feet, too!! What happened to your other birds, it wasn't the Sevin,w as it?

7. SuziQ991

Aug 18, 2009
    Missouri
    I honestly don't know what happened to the others. Unfortunately I did not get a necropsy. The day after I dusted them they got all fluffy and slow. I tried very hard to nurse them back to health, but it did not work. Within 2 days they were gone. I lost 2 buff orps and 1 BR. Only the 3 RIR's made it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by