Adding 8wk chicks to existing deep litter coop. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wrightsx4, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    I have my 20-26 week old hens in a large coop using the deep litter method. In early November I will be taking my younger chicks out if the brooder and putting them into the partitioned grow out area under the nesting boxes with an enclosed run. I will put fresh pine shavings in with them - and probably their own deep litter from their brooder. The two areas are divided only by framing and chicken wire so bedding (and obviously air) will mix. I am feeding the chicks medicated feed for coccidiosis. The older birds have never shown any symptom of illness or infestation. Btw, I also use DE in the coop on and under the roost if that matters. I was thinking I should slowly introduce the "big girl germs" to my chicks by adding bits if their litter/pine shavings from floor to their brooder...? Is that good or bad? I'm afraid of shocking them in November after having them in the brooder in my house. I really don't want to remove the deep litter and start over in November with it already below freezing here at night. Am I being overly cautious? I've searched for the answer and have found lots of help with the social integration but none regarding the existing litter.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I haven't thought or heard much on that. I don't think it will make much of a difference. They are going to be exposed to a lot that they haven't been before that I don't think your older hens will make an impact. As long as they are healthy! Just my opinion. Others may have other ideas to offer though. Good luck!

3. Wrightsx4

Wrightsx4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Northwest Michigan
    Thank you for your input. My older hens are very healthy so maybe there's nothing to worry about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by