adding a Bantam Rooster into a flock of 8 full size hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kyguy, Nov 1, 2009.

1. kyguy

kyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    Sharpsburg Ky
    What is your take on this situation? I have 2 Golden Seabrite roos that I need to find a home for.They are currently housed seperate. My full size roo just passed away that was in my Coop with the full size hens. What are your thoughts of introducing him into the flock of full size hens? Do you think they will fight? pick on him? Keep in mind that he is not full size yet but is starting to sound like a big boy......

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I don't see a problem with you adding one of the bantam roos or both for that matter, to the flock of hens. There may be a little pecking/picking to begin with until they establish the pecking order again. Keep in mind though, that the "little guy's" may not be able to "fertilize" the big girls as easy as a big boy would, but all in all I don't see a problem. You may want to introduce them slowely. Put the roo's in the big girls pen, in a separate pen, so that they can see each other, but can not get hurt. You can do this and then slowely let the boy's out for a little while each day until they all get used to eachother.

ETA: Are the bantam roo's housed together? If not then they may fight alittle. Some rooster's live together just fine and then some would rather be the "head roo".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I agree! I loved my bantam roos and they were always with my big girls and did great.

4. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    I did it with a slow introduction. He has had a tough time NOT being the head chicken, and some of the big girls just do not wish to mate. All is very well now that he seems to accepted his place in mid pecking order. The older hens have been tough on newcomers before.

5. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Same as above, my little Belgian Hercules is the only bantam roo in a flock with all full-size layers - and they never let him forget how much bigger they are!! But they all get along for the most part

6. kyguy

kyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    Sharpsburg Ky
    As of right now I have both the roos housed in the same "pen" if that is what you would call it. It is a modified rabbit cage that they have been in for the last month or so together. They do not fight at all but I was just afraid that when I put them in with the girls that would cause a ruckus.

7. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    My head roo is a silkie in a pen with 3BR and 9Buff Orps and 2 silkies. He will only mate with the big girls. Now the new Buff Orp roo in number 2 roo and only mates with the little silkie girls.

8. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:Yes that is what I was asking. I think they would do fine in with the big girls. As I stated above....introduce them slowely and they should do ok. The only ruckus is probley going to be the big girls getting use to the fact that there is "little guy's" hanging around them. If nothing else, try it and see how it works. If it don't work out take one of the boy's back out and see how that works. I am sure intime you will figure out what is best for you and your flock [​IMG]

9. kyguy

kyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2009
    Sharpsburg Ky
    I have actually been thingking of trying it for a while. Guess I will have to give it a shot now. One more question for anyone who has done this before. If you have had any of the little guys fertilize any of the eggs and hatched them out, what size birds did you get.... I am just curious

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by