adding a chick from another source?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by feather and mountain man, Feb 7, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    I have 25 chicks from Ideal and have considered accepting a single chick as a favor to someone. So will this endanger my young chicks health and if it is a possibility what can I do to protect them. Or what do I need to know about the chick in advance?

2. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    This is probably on the best answer, but I got 8 chicks last weekend and added a 9th a couple days ago from a different source. I have read other people combine them too. As far as getting along - I think they are young enough where it doesn't really matter. The illnesses/disease issue is something completely different.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The real concern is with older chickens who have developed immunities to thing in their environments, and could be carriers of something to your flock. Hence the quarantine period to see what develops (or not).

With baby chicks, different sources is not that big a deal; they have not developed any immu ivies yet, so will not be carriers of anything nasty. Generally. They could have mites, I guess....

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some chicken diseases are passed through the egg to the chick. I don't even know which. Guess you could ask the source whether they have ever had runny noses, coughing. chest congestion, and the like in their flock, then take your chances.

5. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Well if I get the chick I will inspect it but I didn't think it would be a big deal. Just wanted to see what others thought. The chick is only 3 days younger than my chicks and I think it will be fine.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I am sure they will be fine. [​IMG]

I mix chicks of all ages, within a 3.5 week difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by