1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding a Chick to 3 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MedSchlFarmers, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    I have seven nearly 3-week-old chicks (Orpingtons, Silkie, and Easter Eggers) can I add 1-2 Barred Rocks chicks that are 10 days younger than the group of 7? My current 7 hatched together and I purchased them and brought them home from a larger group at 6 days old.

2. goofychickens

goofychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I would not recommend mixing them, not because of aggression but because the older ones might crowd the food and water and may squash the others (entirely by accident) when they run around. I recommend raising them separately, at least until the smaller ones are as big as the bigger ones. If you have any more questions please ask.
    -Goofy

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    With plenty of brooder space, and two feed and water stations, and all healthy birds, it will most likely work out okay. It's best to set up a screen fence between the groups at first, and not do only one chick, especially if younger. Otherwise, mixing groups into a totally new environment is a good plan. Mary

4. MedSchlFarmers

MedSchlFarmers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2016
    North Carolina
    Thank you both! I think I've decided to wait and get barred rocks next go around. They are my favorite in appearance. I'm new and excited and anxious to know how many pullets I currently have. We can't keep roosters in our area. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by