1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding a computer fan to your Little Giant incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicksdigit, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    My question is this: when adding a computer fan did you use the case fan? And did you face the fan down on the eggs or across them? I used the battery charger from my daughters ATV, since we use the car battery charger to charge the battery anyway, and the fan is working well but I was curious as to how you mounted it. A full turner doesn't leave a lot of room. I was thinking of hanging it from the styrofoam top with wire, and I am curious as to how it should be oriented, to blow down on the eggs or across them. Thanks

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I mounted mine in the exact location that they fan kit should be installed. On the top, right under the top ventilation hole, blowing down on the eggs. My fan had a hole in each corner, so I bought some screws that fit in the holes, and were long enought to bolt it to the top. Yes, with turner it is tight, but doesn't touch.

3. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    Thanks HidingintheHenhouse. that helped a lot seems to work well.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I mounted mine to the side of the lid so it sucks air from across the incubator and discharges to the sides so there is no strong cold airflow over the eggs. I was able to get it high enough on the side where the egg turner has a gap so it fit in there nice and easy.

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I hung mine from the middle top also. Make sure you leave enough space above for it to pull air through. In my old itound ncubator, I got itty bitty fans and mounted two from the top blowing in opposite directions to circulate the air around the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by