adding a couple more

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mendogurl, Sep 17, 2009.

1. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    I have a VERY happy little group of hens.
    I want to add two more, what can I expect?

2. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

When I get new birdies, I put them in a pen separate from the other birds for a week--just to make sure they don't demonstrate any signs of illness. Then I put the pen INSIDE the yard, so they can eyeball each other up, but not get to each other. I do that for about a week. then I take them out of the pen and put them in the yard when I am there and see what happens. If it gets ugly, I put the newbies back in the pen for the day. Gradually increase the time they are together and pretty soon they will get along. it just takes a while.

3. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:Oh excellent, that is exactly what I did when introducing a new cat.. .to my other cats.

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi,

I agree with most of that, but I'd keep them seperate for 3-weeks instead of 1 too make sure you don't bring any disease into your little flock. Also after you've done the supervised introductions during the daytime I wait until evening (not full dark) to put them in with the established girls. That gives them a little time to fuss, but they're usually too tired to make much of an issue about it.

You will want to come back after dark and make sure the new ones have made it into the coop though. I've not had a problem with it, but I know others have said the new ones sometimes try to sleep out rather then be that close to the resident group. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by