Adding a duck! (Or Goose?)

Duck, Goose.. Or neither?

• Total voters

Coturnix Quail

Songster
5 Years
Jul 3, 2016
Recently, I've gotten rid of my 11 quail, and it feels a bit empty.. So, I was thinking, I have 7 month old chickens.. Why not add a duck or two?! Or geese?? Which one do you prefer? I'm thinking a smaller duck/goose because I do know ducks/geese are very messy. I don't really want a whole flock of ducks, would that be ok? If it is, I would need very friendly breed recommendations, space required, a place to get them, and, pretty much everything else I'd need to know. Thanks!

Ducks are friendly, in my opinion. I'd go with a khaki campbell. They are small and not so loud. I have a strong dislike of muscovys, so I am the wrong person to ask about them. A pair of females is better than one. They require space like chickens. On the ground though since they don't roost. They need a kiddie pool or something similar to splash around in. They are definitely messy. I like to wet my duck's feed. They eat it better that way. They need a little house to go in and get out of the weather. I got mine from craigslist. I feed mine flock raiser since it's easier to feed the chickens and ducks all the same food. They need grit and oyster shells just like chickens. That's all I can think of.

Ducks are friendly, in my opinion. I'd go with a khaki campbell. They are small and not so loud. I have a strong dislike of muscovys, so I am the wrong person to ask about them. A pair of females is better than one. They require space like chickens. On the ground though since they don't roost. They need a kiddie pool or something similar to splash around in. They are definitely messy. I like to wet my duck's feed. They eat it better that way. They need a little house to go in and get out of the weather. I got mine from craigslist. I feed mine flock raiser since it's easier to feed the chickens and ducks all the same food. They need grit and oyster shells just like chickens. That's all I can think of.

Alright, thank you! I was also looking at the Khaki Campbell. They also have a pretty color. :)

Geese are the best! They will help protect your flock by honking or chasing the predator away. I suggest a sebastopol goose they're very friendly and like to be around chickens (to protect them). And they got curly feather
Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 1.02.28 PM.png

I love my two girls! I have a Cayuga and Blue Swedish. We read that Swedish are great starter ducks, mild temperament and moderate egg layers. Both girls are quiet (Unless I take away their food early... Spoiled!!). They have a small maybe 13x6 fenced area, 40 Gallon stock tank for a pond, and a cinder blocks house. All supplies are relatively cheap and the ducks themselves are very, very sweet! We got ours as ducklings from Tractor Supply. We continue to get their bedding and food from a local feed store, TSC was too far to continue going there.

I'm pretty sure my Tractor Supply store doesn't sell only 2 ducklings.. :( But I'll ask anyway! I heard both those breeds are friendly. Also, you don't leave food out 24/7? I thought you did that for chickens, ducks, ect..

I leave my food out till 5pm or close to sunset to try and deter rats :tongue
Sometimes I’ll pick it up early, close to 2pm or so if it’s going to be a rainy day. Or sometimes they eat it all and when I take away the empty bowl to refill it they get quacky!!
When ducklings they definetly need food 24/7, but as adults you could feed them breakfast and supper and they will supplement the rest foraging if enough room.

I know with chicks at our TSC you have to buy 5 minimum but ducks was just 2!:ya

Back
Top Bottom