Adding a fan to 1602 n ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SteveH, Nov 20, 2010.

1. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I've ordered a computer fan to add to my 1602n . I had a fertility problem , and when I removed 10 ot of 14 eggs and the auto turner at lockdown my temps went unstable . I'm guessing the eggs were serving as a heat well and the turner was adding some heat .

I've not found anything on a search for instructions about adding a fan . Would someone who's done this be so kind as to give me some details about where to mount it for proper flow ? Thank you in advance .

p.s. I have a phone charger to power the fan

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I like to put them hanging from the top like a ceiling fan as close to the middle as I can get it an blowing up. Long screws an a cut up thick straw for spacers works well. Just remember the temp will spike so you have to readjust the thermostat.
    http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html
    Your thermostat is set to 120 in a still air to make it 100 at the egg.
    [​IMG]
    So if you just add a fan the whole incubator will heat to 120. so it will need readjusted.

3. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Thank you Rebel . So , I suspend the fan beneath the vent holes , blowing upwards ? I assume this will increase the air going out at the vents above , which will in turn increase the cool air coming in below , increasing the frequency of the heating element having to run , but also hopefully keep the air temps more consistant throughout the 'bator ? Or does the air flow stiking the top and deflecting out and down create enough diversive flow not to significently increase air movement through the vent holes ?

4. rebelcowboysnb

Haven't ran one like that in a while but I think I would plug or restrict the vent over the fan if its was moving to much air out of it.

5. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Well , its holding temps steady now with just the remaining eggs . I'm thinking I was impatient with temps returning and over corrected after removing so many eggs . Maybe I'll try it again without the fan as it was holding well before the lockdown . This is my first attempt and looking like it may be a total failure ............. but tomorrow is day 21 and there's a few left with at least a little chance . I'll be trying again next month with Mahonri's New Years group if they'll let me in .

6. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I went to check temps and I HAVE A PIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry I yelled , but this is so exciting . I can see how people get addicted to hatching [​IMG]

7. rebelcowboysnb

[​IMG]

8. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    I had a yellow chick in the 'bator this morning , and watched an EE egg zip and hatch [ a first for me [​IMG] ] The EE was supposed to be a white CX crossed on a " partridge " EE , but its either blue or black so either my white or splash Ameraucana manned up before I realized it .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by