Adding a female to a bachelor pad of 3 males?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by disneygirlaudra, Jun 15, 2016.

1. disneygirlaudra

disneygirlaudra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    We bought 3 ducks 4 months ago hoping for at least 1 female but ended up with 3 males. I've found done one in our area selling a 4 month old female. Is this just a disaster waiting to happen gor the new female? My boys all get along well with each other and the chickens. I really don't want more than 4 ducks, should I just enjoy my 3 bachelors and forget about getting duck eggs?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Unfortunately that is a bad idea. You really need, if you are going to get females, at least one per drake, and preferably three per drake. Adding a single female is asking for her to be injured or even killed by all the mating she would have to endure from the three boys.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  3. disneygirlaudra

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Ok, thank you. I was afraid of that but thought I'd ask. I'm new to ducks and boy poultry as well!

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You're welcome! Sorry you didn't get any girls. If you want eggs your best bet would be to rehome one boy and get two girls or for a better ratio rehome two boys and get three girls. But I know it's easy to become attached and not want to rehome anybody :)

5. disneygirlaudra

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Yes, I'll have to talk to my kids. We are pretty attached, and we have plenty of chickens for eggs!

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Just as a warning, if you don't get any females, it's best that you keep the drakes separate from your chickens. They will get hormonal and try to mate with them, and due to anatomical differences, this can seriously injure or even kill the hens.

7. disneygirlaudra

Mar 5, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Oh no! Ugh, I'm looking into purchasing two females today and trying to find homes for one or two males. So 2 girls and 2 boys may be fine in a 75'x75' run with chickens?

8. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Yeah, that would likely be fine. They just need to have some girls to mate with so they don't take their hormones out on your hens :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by