1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding a juvenile hen to a small flock w rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by judyki2004, Aug 6, 2013.

1. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    II have 2 hens & 1 rooster, and some days ago I get a young hen, she is big in size as she is a black cooper maran, but stil not mature, she is suppose to start laying in one or two months ... the question is; It will be safe to put her in the coop? It may be a danger for her health if the rooster mate with her being that young? or I better keep her in a pen untill she matures?
    [​IMG]

She is in a pen very close to the run of the little coop, and she seems to want to be with the other: : 2 hens a Black Sex Link, a Mutt (mother was a black sex link , father was a "mutt" rooster) and a very big white rooster that I have no idea what he is except that was an "easter chick" . The little flock also seems to accept her as 3 of them are very close to her pen too (the rooster protects her , and dance for her as if he wants to mate with her)

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that she will be fine, as long as there is enough room for her to get away from the other birds if she needs to.

1 person likes this.
  3. judyki2004

judyki2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    My Coop
    Update
    She end up being a roo, her name is Gru !!! Now the white roo Rex aca Cheb Coco II moved to a small farm with 8 hens and his name changed to Lupulo & Gru the black cooper maran took his place in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by