Adding a new chick in with other chicks

clogan98

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Torrington, CT
I just picked up a Wyandotte chick to add with my four other chicks. They are all about the same size/age. She might actually be older than the rest. Any tips on a smooth transistion. She is severely stressed out. Everyone is leaving her alone. My Brahma chick tasted her down a bit but no pecking. Just a sample taste. I put her up on the highest rung on the baby roost ladder I have in their brooder. But she's really an unhappy camper. Panting, trilling and keeping her eyes closed. I feel horrible.

I just picked up a Wyandotte chick to add with my four other chicks. They are all about the same size/age. She might actually be older than the rest. Any tips on a smooth transistion. She is severely stressed out. Everyone is leaving her alone. My Brahma chick tasted her down a bit but no pecking. Just a sample taste. I put her up on the highest rung on the baby roost ladder I have in their brooder. But she's really an unhappy camper. Panting, trilling and keeping her eyes closed. I feel horrible.
Feed them well, and maybe use a dim light for the night, or none at all. She'll fit in very soon. Its usually not really a problem. If any problems devleope, just post here. I'll try to check back tomarrow.

She's asleep, snuggling with the others now. I helped her down from the roost (she looked confused on how to dismount) and let her go get a drink and some food. She peeped for a few minutes, then snuggled in with the others. She has stopped panting and holding her wings out. The heat light isn't on so I'm thinking that was stress related. I have electrolytes in the water for my other chick right now so I hope that helps as well. Right now though, I think I'm in need of some. Not sure who's more stressed! Poor thing. Luckily my other four are really sweet and I don't have any cranky ones in the bunch. Besides my EE, but she's the youngest and they are snuggling together because the Wyandotte let the EE snuggle under her. Anyone that does that is okay in her book!

I have two 4 week old chicks with 2 2 week old chicks it should be ok watch tem to make sure they don't peck if they are young nothing will happen she is sared because she/he don't have a buddy to go through with when i pick up birds i always get two that way they are calm together

also i would boil an egg and mash it with your fingers [hands clean] and put that in too it helps them really

my chicks

this is her exacly 4 week ago when i got her july 5 2012 i will take a recent pic now she got so big

Back
Top Bottom