adding a new chick to my month old brood?

sweetsaffron

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 16, 2010
I am raising my second group of baby chicks this spring and this weekend experienced and unexpected tragedy. My girls are almost a month old and apparently have gotten quite good at hopping and flying short distances. One of the girls got out of her cage, hopped onto the rim of the open toilet and fell in. I found her drowned in the toilet bowl. I feel horrible, she was my sweetest chick. I would really like to get another chick of her breed but I'm worried about adding a new baby chick in with the older girls. Can a new chick go in with them? Should I put her in her own little brooder for a week or two till she gets bigger? Or should I just give up on the idea.

One sad chicken mama,
Suz

The first year I got chickens I got 2 rir's in april and another 2 in may. It took me hours to creat a divider in the cage so the big ones wouldn't have access to and possibly hurt the little ones. Within minutes after entering the cage the little ones figured out how to sneak around the divider.

Within hours the 1 month olds were "mothering" the babies. Each baby-mama had a baby under it's wings. I can't guarentee you would get the same results. But it doesn't get any cuter than babies raising babies.

The exact same thing just happened to me, yesterday. I had netting over their brooder, but they somehow pulled it down. I found my month old Polish in the toilet. I feel so bad. I would like to get another Polish, but I don't know if I should get a young one now, or wait until the others are old enough to go the coop?

Back
Top Bottom