1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

adding a new chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lrhoodes1126, Mar 31, 2012.

1. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    hi eveyone,

i had( 4) 7 week old chicks untill yesterday they were hanging outside in their day pen i bought from co-op. Well, even though one of my barred rocks was 2x the size of gap in pen he squeezed through it and hopped the fence and the neigbors dog got her. all of that happened in the 5 min i went to get them some more water. so now i want to add another chick but the flock. All I can find is 1 month old brahma. I asked a local farmer if he had any their age and he is checking but if not how would i go about introducing a light brahma to a flock of: 1 rhode island red, 1 barred rock, 1 black star that are all 7 weeks? they will be going in their coop this week, with a night heat lamp due to cold nights. please letme know soon there is only 1 brahma left and then there is only chicks available. Thanks.

Lindsay

by the way we are correcting fence and pen issue before they will be able to go out again.

2. mom29

mom29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Ohio
    We have a huge blend of chickens and aside from the size difference had no problems with blending them. I would put him/her in with the others and monitor it very closely in case they bully....

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Since they are still young I would advise penning her so they can see her but not touch her. However, I always suggest quarantining to prevent any disease spreading

4. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    well the brahma was sold before i could get there but i found some that are 3 weeks old. my question is could i get just one and keep it alone until i mix them or should i try to mix them imediantly and just closely watch? will the size differance be a huge problem with this age pullet? i would hate for her to be alone but i dont have room for another chicken, my yard and coop are the perfect size for 4. please let me know all you can i need to go tommorow to the only place i could find older than day old chicks, which is an hour away. Thanks

5. crazychickenwom

crazychickenwom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    Central Ohio
    I mixed a 4 week old white rock and 6 two day old buckeyes and they did just fine together, if you are concerned or if there is any bullying you could always keep them separated with some chicken wire, but I am sure things will go just fine! I would for sure keep a close eye on them for a while and maybe delaying their going outside for another week.

6. lrhoodes1126

lrhoodes1126 New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    thanks for all the help, so should i just stick the 3 week old chick in with the 7 week old pullets and watch or should i maybe try to put them in their outdoor pen together to get to know each other, it is only 4x4 but its not their normal brooder box. i just worry they wont accept her in their home, especially since their loss. I am new to chickens so I am not sure about their dynamic. Thank. Any advice welcome!

Lindsay

7. mom29

mom29 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    Ohio
    We have always mixed pullets they seem very accepting to new comers it is when they get older that they notice the age difference.. I would definately keep a very close eye on them but think you should be fine with mixing them. Also unless you can watch them outside I would try to keep them indoors in a large box until you are positive they are fine with it. Sometimes they will pick if the newby is weak from the new enviroment. Good Luck hope to see pics soon!

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I did something like this:

[​IMG]

That's 12 week olds (outside) and 6 week olds (inside). They've been together about a week, will let them out together when I can be there to watch and see nothing bad happens. :) Make sure there are extra food and water stations in case bigger ones crowd out little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by