The more I read about illness the more concerned I am about adding a new rooster. Our current rooster attacks us at times so we are getting ready to dispatch him and get a new rooster for our 6 hens. All were hatched in early April. A local farm rescue has roosters - I'm assuming if I adopt one of those then I have no idea if they are a carrier of any type of respiratory illness? Does that matter since my flock free ranges on our property and there are tons of wild birds/animals? What is the best way to pick a new rooster (or more hens to add) health wise? Wait until spring and get a young one or buying an adult from someone - does that matter? I know to quarantine, but that won't tell me if he's a carrier of a disease and just not ill currently, correct? Also, with the water soluble antibiotics being pulled, is there one that is best to keep on hand for the just in case situation? Or am I shooting in the dark here and better off just not having any hand? There have to be farm vets around me, my current vet is dog/cat only though I believe. I've been reading the many threads on the antibiotics over the years and it is hard to decipher if one is better than others or which meds to keep on hand. Thank you for any help!